Melissa's Reviews > The Woman Behind the New Deal: The Life of Frances Perkins, FDR'S Secretary of Labor and His Moral Conscience

The Woman Behind the New Deal by Kirstin Downey

3191783
Oct 01, 11

Read from August 17 to October 01, 2011

It took me a while but this book has been a fascinating read. Frances Perkins was a true trailblazer and pioneer and such an inspiration - particularly to women. The causes she fought for in the 30's and 40's (worker protection, social security, immigration) are things we take for granted today and were non-existent then. I marvel at how she even thought of these causes.

The aspect of this book that actually made me feel better about today's political climate is that the craziness that is going on now in Washington is not new. From the birther movement to how randomly VP candidates get picked to political maneuvering and mudslinging - none of it is new. 70 years from now that same process will probably still be going on and people will be marveling at how it's STILL the same.

I'm also amazed about how I got through so many years of school without knowing any history!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman Behind the New Deal.