Anna Aguirre's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

F_50x66
Apr 11, 08

Read in January, 1993

** spoiler alert ** I should mention that my sister-in-law is also my best friend. And we have an ongoing argument. I love Pride and Prejudice. I love everything about it. I think that Elizabeth and Darcy are the second most romantic literary couple of all time. (This is where said sister-in-law vehemently disagrees with me.)
I believe the most romantic literary couple is Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester. I love that Jane describes herself as plain and Mr. Rochester as ugly. Not only is he physically unattractive, he's also rather gruff and rude. Little Jane still finds the goodness in him and loves him despite his obvious flaws. And when seen through Jane's eyes, I can't help but love him too, violent temper, ill manners and all. I also sincerely believe that there is not another character who loves someone as fiercely as Mr. Rochester loves Jane. My paperback copy of this book, which I have owned for about 13 years is worn and bedraggled. It automatically falls open to my two favorite parts - the night when Jane finally declares her love for Mr. Rochester and the day they are reunited at the end.
I also love this book because of Jane's morals. She overcomes a horrid childhood and has such a strong sense of right and wrong. She always chooses the right thing to do, even when the consequences are hard to bear. It would be so easy to rationalize doing the wrong thing in her position, but she sticks to her guns and, like a God-fearing Christian would hope, she is rewarded in the end. I can't tell you how many times I've read this book and how much I love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah Well, I can't deny your conviction Anna, we'll just have to agree to disagree. The book is very well written, and interesting, but as a story about romance, for me it fell flat. Of course, I do like this book much better than Wuthering Heights!

Anna Aguirre Praise indeed.

Sarah Hey, some people love Wuthering Heights! I don't personally know anybody who does, but I've heard that those people do exist.

message 4: by STEPHANIE (new) - added it

STEPHANIE Ok, now I have to read Jane Eyre, especially if their story is equally romantical as P&P. I saw the musical (Jany Eyre) and have seen the PBS version, but nothing is better than reading the book itself.