Janina's Reviews > Singing the Dogstar Blues

Singing the Dogstar Blues by Alison Goodman

A very charming, light and funny little book.

YA sci-fi (real YA sci-fi, not romance disguised as sci-fi) is still a rare thing to find, and I very much enjoyed this story about time travel, aliens, a DNA mystery and an unlikely friendship. Joss is spunky and rebellious without being annoying, Mavkel a very fascinating and endearing character. I loved how their friendship developed, how the Chorians communicated and how their society worked. The overall tone of the book was light, but not without meaning; funny, but not trying too hard and the author didn't feel the need to dump too much information about the world on the reader. I very much like the feeling of getting to know the setting by myself and not being told what it's supposed to be like.

Towards the end, though, I felt like some things were a little rushed. I would have wished for some more depth: a lot if conflicts were hinted at, but not picked up again and in the end, I was left with a lot of open questions – not about the plot, but more about the background of the story in general. I would have loved to learn more about the Chorians, about the scientific aspect behind time travel (how does it actually work?) and about Joss's family.

Nevertheless, recommended if you are into lighter sci-fi with a futuristic setting, and would like to read a book without a focus on romance for once. I would have wished to be just a little more invested emotionally, but in comparison to Froi of the Exiles, the book didn't really stand a chance in that department.

#11 Aussie YA Challenge 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Singing the Dogstar Blues.

10/31/2011 page 63
24.0% "Good so far. Joss is a great heroine and I can't wait to see more of Mavkel!"