Danielle's Reviews > The Time In Between

The Time In Between by María Dueñas

F 50x66
Aug 24, 11

The Time in Between follows the life of Sira, a young Spanish seamstress, in the years preceding and during World War II. The book is a sprawling narrative, spanning a number of years and two continents. Sira's unfortunate romantic liaison with a con-man finds her in debt and legal trouble in a foreign land with no means to support herself, until she rediscovers her talent for sewing and clothing design and finds herself catering to the wives of some very powerful men in a turbulent time in Europe's history. It is because of her proximity to so many important men, particularly Germans, that she is approached by British intelligence and asked to gather intelligence on the comings and goings of the Nazis in Morocco.

I found the story, despite the length of the novel, to be relatively fast-paced and engrossing. There were points where I thought the narrative dragged too slowly, but overall, the pace of the book was enjoyable. As much time as I spent with Sira, however, I didn't really feel like her character was very fleshed out -- the book was more about what happened to her than about her. I found the little world in Morocco where so many Europeans of power and importance found themselves in the time of WWII to be really fascinating and something about which I had no idea. Similarly, the real tension between the Germans and the British over Spain and what its ultimate involvement in WWII would be (google tells me Spain was officially nonbelligerent but sympathetic towards the Axis) was likewise new historical material for me and very interesting.

Overall, I give The Time in Between 3 stars for being an entertaining read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time In Between.