Kayt's Reviews > Daughter of Witches

Daughter of Witches by Patricia C. Wrede

Feb 08, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read on August 16, 2011

Renira is a bondswoman in the oppressive city of Drinn. The best way to survive is to live quiet and unnoticed, but when she catches the eye of the high priest and gets tangled up with some strange foreigners, she needs a new way to survive. And fast.

I honestly picked this up because it was only a dollar at the used bookstore. I love Wrede's books, but I'd never heard of this one before. I have to say this is an excellent example of a writer getting better and better over time, because while most of Wrede's stuff is awesome, this was forgettable stock fantasy--and one of the earliest things she published.

Renira was a boring main character, but at least the reader could understand her. All other characters were hard to grasp, fulfilling story purposes rather than being part something interesting. Let's see, spunky young sidekick, check. Handsome, friendly guy, check. Feisty tomboy, check. Mysterious all-knowing mentor, check. They fulfilled their purposes and didn't venture outside those strict parameters.

And the story? It felt like merely a prelude to something, but it didn't end on a cliffhanger. The book was merely filler, to be consumed when you're bored and have absolutely nothing else to do--it wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. At all. On the other hand, it's an interesting look at Wrede's old work, especially considering that within a decade she was writing the series she's best known for, the humorous and fun Enchanted Forest Chronicles.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of Witches.