April 's Reviews > Absolute Midnight

Absolute Midnight by Clive Barker

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: arc
Read in August, 2011

(Originally posted @ CSI:Librarian.)

As overjoyed I was to finally get a chance to read this, I was also incredibly apprehensive. On one hand, darkness taking over is something Barker does well. On the other, I wasn't sure really what could possibly happen to Candy or Abarat to warrant three more books. Happily, re-reading the first two books assuaged most of my fears and Absolute Midnight itself was more than worth the wait.

Wow. I am still reeling from the emotions, the darkness, the characters, the diverse settings, the amazing writing, and the events that took place. While Absolute Midnight obviously was in the same spirit as Abarat and Days of Magic, Night of War, this new third book was darker, more profound, and more brilliant than I could have ever anticipated. Every time I thought I knew what was going on, I didn't really and thank goodness because what happened not only to Candy but to Boa, Carrion, Pixler, Motley, Malingo, and everyone else in Abarat or Chickentown made for a thoroughly engaging read.

The direction everything and everyone got taken in were really some of the more refreshing changes, particularly for a YA book, that I've come across in awhile. There is a lot going on in the Abarat series that deals with love, life, death, friendship, good, evil, finding one's true self, and choices. I still don't know if I would say this was a book strictly targeted towards teens, but all of the topics I've mentioned are definitely what teens are starting to become aware of if not to terms with. What makes this book and its prequels work so well is that the subjects are handled in really thought-provoking ways that aren't in the least bit heavy-handed.

I could go on and on about the wonderfully terrible and terribly wonderful parts of Absolute Midnight, but needless to say there are a wealth of spoilers involved. Without giving too much away, I will tell you that there were so many monsters, so many story-lines, and so many amazingly unexpected developments that I found myself absolutely miserable and frustrated when I couldn't just sit still to read this book all the way through. While reading, I cried, I laughed, and I was moved by the scope of Barker's vision, imagination, and depth he gave to each of his characters. I was occasionally horrified by some of what happened, of course. But over all I was impressed, enthralled, and keenly pleased by the uniquely Barker but somewhat Lovecraftian-tinged elements that were introduced as well as how much the stakes get raised for everyone.

One of the strongest elements of the first two books were the art, and the paintings in Absolute Midnight were pretty amazing too. The words themselves held their own a bit more firmly this time around, but I still loved the pairing of images and text. Since I was reading an ARC not a finished book, I had to make do with black and white reproductions. That worked for about half of the paintings. With the other half it just turned everything into one shade of gray on top of the other, which was pretty awful in terms of catching any small details. Again, this is also not something I would hold against the book itself. Instead I will definitely be hunting down a finished copy of Absolute Midnight as soon as it is out in order to see the oil-paintings properly because I am positive that they will look awesome in color. Somehow I suspect re-reading won't be a hardship either.

As far as complaints go, I can't really think of any. Yes, there are a lot of cliffhangers, but I think that's sort of par for the course since this is the third book in a five book series. I could have done without the new love interest for Candy, but I will reserve any real judgment until I see how it all plays out. Besides, Barker did so many things so well that it is difficult to hold anything so trivial against him.

In conclusion, awesome and not to be missed! Throughout the Abarat series, Barker has been able to strike a remarkable balance between the use of words and images, and he is really gifted at expressing himself through both mediums. Even just in terms of words, Absolute Midnight is the sort of work of fiction that readers need and that I sometimes forget even exists. It is such a shame that so few authors are wielding their imagination so freely or in such successful abandon as Barker. Just like the first two books of Abarat, I can see Absolute Midnight appealing to a wide range of people. Particularly to readers who are sick and tired of the same old thing, readers who are tired of authors refusing to go into the dark with their stories, and to fans of really good, fantastical horror.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Absolute Midnight.

08/17/2011 page 65
08/18/2011 page 224
39.23% "Wow I was not expecting a lot of what's happened so far... But I'm definitely enjoying it!"
08/19/2011 page 373