Maree's Reviews > Die for Me

Die for Me by Amy Plum

Aug 18, 11

Read from August 17 to 18, 2011

This book was set up perfectly for me to hate it. A paranormal romance with a female lead was enough to make me reluctant to read it, and I probably wouldn't have if it hadn't been a group read. But I'm really glad that I did.

I'm not saying that it was the best book in the world, but I was pleasantly surprised by it and did enjoy it. The pining over the boy could have gotten disgusted snorts from me, but it was just so well done that I was willing to overlook any minor issues I would have picked at had the book been mediocre. And considering how rarely that happens, and how this book overcame my prejudices about it, speaks highly of its quality.

The heroine was quite...normal. She doesn't have mad fighting skills so she's not any good when it comes to battling evil, but she's not weak and cowering in the corner, either. She's doing her best, but her best just isn't that great. And I love that. So it's okay that the guy might have to save her or at least help her out a bit based on his years of experience in dealing with this sort of thing. I was also pleased that the author chose revenants instead of the classic vampire undead. It was different and fresh, something new to explore.

And kudos for (view spoiler)

The ending might have been a little much, but by that time I was fully into the romance and it was just sweet, not pukingly so. But boy does it make me wish for a sweet, rich boyfriend with unlimited resources!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Die for Me.

message 1: by Jesi (new) - added it

Jesi You know, I've been reluctant to read this, because it's ANOTHER YA paranormal romance, you know? But with this review, I might actually give it the time of day.

Maree To be fair, I haven't actually read a lot of them, so if I had, then maybe I'd be more wary and have seen this pattern more frequently. But I was pleasantly surprised, anyway.