Alberteinsteinmaloney's Reviews > Ellen Foster

Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons

U_50x66
Aug 17, 11

Read in August, 2011

I picked this gem of a novel up at Borders' going out of business sale on my way home from work last night and devoured it -- cover to cover -- in a couple of hours. Eleven-year-old Ellen's uniquely insightful voice kept the tone of the novel from sinking into the saccharine sweetness of an annoyingly precocious child’s narrative. Her descriptions of attempted incest, rampant racism (often her own), and domestic violence are all the more horrific for the matter-of-fact way in which they are detailed. Despite the sordid and tragic, and often shocking subject matter, I found this a charming read. Ellen’s savvy smarts added much needed humor and I adored her unabashed materialism. I don't know if it was the loveliness of the ending or the two glasses of red wine I drank immediately prior to reading the ending, but there may have been one or two tears shed. On sober morning reflection, I questioned if the ending was a little too "The Little Princess" but then decided, hell, we all deserve a happy ending here and there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ellen Foster.