Sandy's Reviews > The Women

The Women by T.C. Boyle

Aug 17, 11

Having just re-read Loving Frank by Nancy Horan, I chose to follow up by reading The Women which provides another fictionalized account of Frank Lloyd Wright's relationships with Mamah Cheney and his three wives. I enjoyed the book although not nearly as much as Loving Frank. As Horan admits there is not a lot of information available regarding Mamah Cheney other than correspondence with Ellen Key and newspaper articles, it was interesting to see the differences between the two author's accounts of the relationship with Mamah, mainly just timeline differences. His relationship with his second wife, Miriam, is extremely bizarre and is what I take away most from reading the book. I read The Women on my Kindle and there was not an afterword available to determine how Boyle conducted his research. The footnotes, written from the perspective of a Japanese draftsman who worked under FLW, are comical. Is the draftsman's account and his footnotes also fictionalized? I think this is the case. I recommend this book, but AFTER reading Loving Frank .... which is a must read.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Women.