Jenna 's Reviews > Gimme a Call

Gimme a Call by Sarah Mlynowski

Aug 17, 11

Read in August, 2011

The concept is quirky and cute. What would you tell your younger self if your older self had already experienced her own decisions/mistakes? It's pretty cool when the two versions of Devi figure it out together...as soon as freshman Devi does (or even thinks) a new plan, it usually happens and immediately impacts senior Devi's life. I love that her college acceptance letter pinned to her bulletin board keeps changing. It shows where younger Devi's at as far as academics go.

It all begins because Devi knows she's wasted her entire high school life on Bryan. She tells "frosh" everything to do to avoid dating Bryan and the things that will help her get into a good college. But when her friends change (sometimes for the worse) and Bryan doesn't even remember his connection with Devi and the time they dated, senior Devi begins to wonder: is it all worth changing?

The catch of it all is that even though freshman Devi changes parts of their life, senior Devi is stuck with the old memories. She remembers what no one around her does. It's even pretty weird when one minute her mom is asking about Bryan, the next, she has no recollection of who he is.

But all good things come to an end, and senior Devi's cell is on low battery. Will it die before the two versions of herself can create the ultimate life?

I hated the fact that senior Devi always turned statements into a question by adding "no?" onto the end. Like We could do that later, no? I made that one up, but it happened a lot. It makes sense when freshman Devi finds out why, but it was a little annoying. I appreciated the author making up terms that all the friends used, like "fabo" or Devi's "That's so dimples." Not phrases I've heard from teens, but it just illustrates the fact that they have their own expressions.

I liked the message that every action has a consequence. The people who gave reviews of the book said it was so wonderful and laugh out loud crazy. I didn't laugh as much as I thought I would. In fact, it was pretty slow until the last third of the book. I loved the ending though. I will read Mlynowski's book Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have). It looks great.

So, in the end, amazing concept, good characters, but needed a faster pace for me at the beginning.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gimme a Call.