Bonnie's Reviews > Gregor the Overlander

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins

Aug 18, 11

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult, series, 2011, new-york-city, fantasy-adventure
Recommended to Bonnie by: moi
Recommended for: Suzanne Collins-The Hunger Games fans
Read from August 12 to 17, 2011, read count: 1

Although John Grisham and Suzanne Collins be a far cry from comparable authors, I wondered about Suzanne Collins' life as an author pre-Hunger Games. How does one well-written book(s) do okay (Underland Chronicles) and another well-written book (Hunger Game Series) take the world by storm, I'd asked myself?

This was something that I had also reflected on in the past when John Grisham's novel, The Firm, hit the stores, and turned him into an overnight success making him a gazillionaire author, partly because of so many of his books have been made into movies (The Firm, Pelican Brief, The Client,etc. Yet few knew of his book, a Time to Kill, a real heart stopper (when awaiting the verdict from the jury, I could hardly turn the page) that had arrived also, pre-Firm/money-making days for Grisham.

I will move on from Grisham, just explaining how I came to read Suzanne Collins' book, Gregor the Overlander. Perhaps my least favorite book genre, fantasy adventure, I still can say this book is a treat to behold, with characters that live beneath the sewers of New York City: luminescent violet-eyed people, bats and cockroaches with feelings, and a malevolent greedy, but somehow lovable rat, all figure into this story. Happy to have read this and look forward to following it up with the following two adventures/prophecy fulfiller tales.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gregor the Overlander.