Francesca's Reviews > Mandy

Mandy by Julie Andrews Edwards

Aug 17, 11

This review was originally posted on my blog, The Reading Hammock (readinghammock.blogspot.com).

I have loved this novel ever since I read it when I was little. Since this book is only around 260 pages, with big text, it is perfect for younger readers, who are beginning to read longer novels. This is a cute story about a young girl, living in an orphanage, who makes a place of her own in an abandoned cottage over the stone wall of her orphanage. Edwards uses nice descriptive language of Mandy’s happy encounters with delightful animals at her cottage and happiness of finally having a place of her own. Edwards also describes Mandy’s longing to sneak off and visit her cottage, even in the middle of a storm while she is sick. Mandy’s story is not only about her happiness but also about her internal struggles as she cannot pay for all of the expenses of the cottage and resorts to stealing from the orphanage. Although I would mainly recommend this book to younger readers, I recently reread this book and enjoyed it as much as when I read it for the first time, when I was younger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mandy.