Erica's Reviews > Girls in White Dresses

Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close

Aug 17, 11

Read in August, 2011

I read this in galley form (got it at BEA at the urging of my friend Maya), and the back cover copy compares it to The Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing. I'm always skeptical of those sorts of comparisons, but in this case I have to say the book completely delivered.

Girls in White Dresses is a novel-in-stories (side note: sometimes it makes me sad that we have to call collections of linked stories "a novel-in-stories" in order to get them more attention. why don't we love short stories for what they are? see also: a visit from the goon squad) about a group of Boston College grads living in New York City, following them from just post-college until they're around 30. And I loved it. What I loved most of all was the way the girls talked to each other--Jennifer Close nailed the dialogue, really capturing the way friends speak, the shorthand and the slang that comes from knowing people for forever. But beyond that she nailed the feeling of being in New York in your 20s, when you're vaguely dissatisfied and you don't know why, and your job sucks and your boyfriend sucks and your apartment sucks and the only thing that doesn't suck are your friends.

Also, the chapter on being a bridesmaid was so dead-on I wanted to call my best friend (who I was a bridesmaid with) and read it to her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls in White Dresses.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heather EB, I'd love to borrow your copy if I may. Do you still have a John Green of mine?

Amber Completely agree that for once the comp was correct! Also completely agree that the bridesmaid story was the best of the bunch. Only one I could have done without was the one about the bf obsessed with Obama. Already felt dated to me!

message 3: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica Amber wrote: "Completely agree that for once the comp was correct! Also completely agree that the bridesmaid story was the best of the bunch. Only one I could have done without was the one about the bf obsessed ..."

yes! that was my least favorite too!

Allison I am now even more excited about reading this book.

Heather Hah, I just updated my status to say I'd just read the bridesmaid chapter and it's the first one that really resonated with me. UNIVERSALLY BELOVED!