Dinjolina's Reviews > Until There Was You

Until There Was You by Kristan Higgins

Imagine yourself as a heroine.

What kind of hero would you wish for?

How about one that overlooked you and your love as a kid, ruined your social life in a stupid attempt to help you in a 4 minute time span that he could divulge to you and then forget you even lived for the next 15 years?
How about one that leaves you at every turn because he hides behind parenting his child?
How about one that is so hooked up on his dead wife that this child is almost a bizarre extension of what he had with her?
How about one that dreams about said wife five pages before your HEA while sniffing her pearls and so on?
How about one that goes and does a very lame 'i love you singing scene' only after his daughter said she has nothing against you in his life?
How about one that inserts an 'When my kid is ready' clause even in his oh-so-romantic proposal of marriage 2 pages till the finale?

You want this hero?
The hero that loved the moronic wife even thou she loved him for like 5 minutes only and he did not even mind and still panted over her for close to 20 years?
The one that on the other hand treats you like a commodity, like trash, like nothing worth wile, and most importantly like second best to everything else in his life?

Then by all means, have him.
But do not make me imagine your HEA.
I don't think I can handle the emotional abuse you are going to go trough.

This book was given to me at NetGalley.
42 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Until There Was You.

willaful Isn't this the same cover as her last book?!

Dinjolina I have no idea. It looks a bit like it.. Like they used the same pose and the same couple only dressed them differently... Not that her covers are all that inventive any way :)

message 3: by willaful (last edited Aug 18, 2011 10:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

willaful Not her fault, of course, but it gets annoying/confusing. I had just noticed that one of the covers of Match Me If You Can is exactly like one of the covers of Kiss an Angel. (Half of the woman's face, wearing a tiara.) I guess the publishers see it as branding.

Dinjolina I see it as 'The first cover worked let us try again'!
But look at Susan Mallerys books Fools Gold. I read them all and I still could not pick them apart in a line up. No way! There is just nothing new about them!

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] Err, no, I'll pass. :D

Dinjolina I have no idea why the heroine did not :)

message 7: by .þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] (last edited Sep 29, 2011 03:10PM) (new)

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] I think it's because as she's the 'heroine' she was saddled with the moron, aka the 'hero'. But I don't have to. A man passing me over for some other girl? His loss not mine! Tata!! ;)

Dinjolina I personally have a big problem with the 'perfect dead spouse' theme.

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] But, this comes after the initial problem, which is he CHOSE that woman over her. I read a few other reviews of this book and I agree. Dignity, where art thou? lolz

Dinjolina Oh, you mean when they were kids?
Sure. Totally.
But he kind of kicks her in the (emotional metaphoric) kidneys later in life on a so much bigger level.

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...] Lolz, she should've seen it coming and then seeing the way he couldn't get over the dead spouse, I think she should've learned to show her back. Anyhoo, since I haven't read this book, no point in ranting. But, loved your review. :)

message 12: by Sian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sian Oh no i have this to read and review also at some point...i have liked the couple i have read of hers but they are more her older books I think

Michelle Spot on review! I felt the exact same way!

Angela I think we are supposed to look deeper into Liam's psyche to see an insecure guy who never thought he was worthy of anyone. He felt Emma was too good for him; he feels Cordelia deserves better than the man he is. He says these two things in the book. Only when Liam's daughter tells him that Emma wanted her to "marry a guy like her daddy" did Liam realize he WAS good enough for Emma, and he IS good enough for Cordelia. Liam isn't hooked up on his dead wife; he's PETRIFIED that he'll die and leave Nicole without a parent. His "ego" was a front for his insecurity (as is often the case in real life).

Dinjolina I am sorry, but I never saw this. Even if the author wanted to give that impression-it was vague and completely not enough.

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Melanie T. i love this review :)

Mohcandy lol. totally agree with you. I sometimes wonder while reading it "who is this writer and what she done with kristan?!"

Samruddhi Totally AGREED!

message 19: by Ch (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ch I'm going to read this now. Mostly because of your review AND the fact that I loved all her other books :)

About the cover, ive seen several book covers identical but with different authors and titles.
Come on spend a little money on that!

Rebekah Loved this book. Agree with Angela. Liam's love for Posey is mature. His love for his first wife was immature. They had grown apart as they grew up. he still loved her, but as the mother of his child.