Eric's Reviews > Graffiti Moon

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Nick. Norah. Who?

This book was so much fun. I was giddy reading about all the little things that went on between the friends. Between the hand signals, cubicle of truths, and endless late night banter were perfect. Honestly the whole night was perfect. I have a not so secret confession about going to bed many nights listening to Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist and since there's no audiobook of Graffiti Moon (YET?) I'll probably have to find a new book to enjoy and put me to sleep. Honestly at first I drew a couple of connections but then I realized one was just so much more polished and well put together it can no longer hold a candle to it. Even if you weren't a fan of Playlist you should pick this up.

There is something about the energy of this book. Not so much the pacing it's just how events unfold it almost feels like life itself is happening on the page. Let me tell you how I moved from place to place in the house carrying my book with me. Everything else took a backseat to this. I could see epicness happening. Except for in the bathroom I uncharacteristically carried this book with me distractedly leaving lights on in my room, the kitchen, downstairs, the computer room. Around 3 in the morning I tried to make Pop-Tarts forgot about them and found out you can't "retoast" Pop-Tarts. It just doesn't work. Trust me. I know what I was thinking... will you? Clearly it's going in my favorites shelf because I couldn't even function outside of reading this one night.

Even though they're running all over town through the night I liked how even though everyone knows each other it's not unrealistic because everyone *does* know each other. When we meet the "nice attractive man in the silver suit" I was all for it until he told Lucy his name. At that moment again it felt like there was a certain energy that the book had cause it became charged again and even though not everyone was in the know we all felt it.

Overall I was a fan of this book pretty much from the word go, especially after just finishing A Little Wanting Song. I had the ARC before I knew what all the fuss was about but in the time that past I actually got a copy of the Australian retail. There are a few differences and I'm not sure if that means they'll be editing things out or if it's going to be added to the US retail but I'm anxious to find out either way. Besides little things like globalisation to globalization, apologise to apologize, and plaits to braids (got ya), there were entire passages that differ. It's actually one of the reasons when I woke up I started re-reading the entire thing all over again. In truth I really didn't mind one bit. It actually was even more entertaining the second time around.

This is a clear recommendation to any YA fans, especially of the Australian kind. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graffiti Moon.

Quotes Eric Liked

Cath Crowley
“Go along with it, Ed. I am begging. I am on the ground begging you." "You're standing at a urinal about to take a piss." "Don't make me get on the ground. Do you know how many germs there are in a toilet?”

Cath Crowley
“You say one more word to anyone and I'm telling people you cried in here tonight because you thought Daisy was breaking up with you.' 'You wouldn't.' Leo's phone rings. 'He would,' he says, laughing as he answers it.”

Cath Crowley
“She's the psychic but she can't see what's coming up: the intersection of hurt and more hurt. The blind spot there is a killer.”

Cath Crowley
“Ed gives him a dirty look. Leo grins. Dylan twitches. It feels like something's going on, I think loudly, and I know that Jazz hears my thought because she gives me her serious look and blows a chewing-gum bubble in my direction.”

Cath Crowley
“You can't drive them around in the getaway van.' 'How about we don't call it the getaway van? People might get suspicious.' 'So what should we call it?' 'How about the van?' 'It doesn't change what it is and that it's a shitty thing to do. Someone might see them in it.”

Cath Crowley
“What are you doing?' 'Asking the universe questions.' 'The universe just dumped you over the side of a steep hill. You really want to ask it questions?”

Cath Crowley
“Luce,' she says, 'I don't want my diary entry tomorrow to be: Stayed out all night. Went to prison. I have this urge to go home and watch TV with my parents and be completely boring.”

Cath Crowley
“I know about graffiti,' I say, and the words come out as if I'm an old lady saying she likes the hip-hop.”

Cath Crowley
“I don't believe him for a second, but I'm not telling Daisy that Dylan lied because I know what it's like to want a girl that much. To get dragged in the dirt behind her hoping you won't lose your grip.”

Cath Crowley
“I guess love's kind of like a marshmallow in a microwave on high. After it explodes it's still a marshmallow. but, you know, now it's a complicated marshmallow.”

Cath Crowley
“I escaped onto the wall, a painted ghost trapped in a jar. I stood back to look at it and I knew the sad thing wasn't that the ghost was running out of air. the sad thing was that he had enough air in that small space to last him a lifetime. What were you thinking, little ghost? Letting yourself get trapped like that?”
tags: ed

09/15/2011 page 1
0.0% "How would one unhype themselves? I feel like there's too much hype, not that it's warranted but still."
09/15/2011 page 15
6.0% "Can't say it, won't say it...Emma's a bitch! Shit I know a lot of girls like Emma."
09/15/2011 page 27
10.0% "What's with psychics and lollipops? Push, Lost Girl and this. I'm a fan."
09/15/2011 page 28
10.0% "Genius. A lamer would say it was too easy, I would say try and write it yourself before judging. The premise just won me over."
09/15/2011 page 94
35.0% "This book makes me think about a lot of the things that are not right in my life right now. Like how I like art and haven't taken a photograph in months. How I like music and haven't played anything in...awhile. Introspection wasn't really in the game plan for the night."
09/15/2011 page 120
44.0% "Alright so I've got a million questions about now, starting with how different English can be from everyone who says they know it to why is the AU ebook and the US ARC different in whole passages of text? I was only trying to find out if they changed petrol to gasoline..."
09/16/2011 page 272
100.0% "It's 4:09am and that was awesome."