Dana *'s Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Sep 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011, 1st-person-mystery, best-sellers, dystopian, future, group-reads, young-adult
Read from August 17 to 26, 2011, read count: 1

I would not let the label of Young Adult keep you from reading this great story. A future with a bleakness that is actually similar to historical events, repeated time and time again, around the world.

In trying to make a Utopia, failure to recognize the variety of values that humans possess and the contributions to be made, is what makes this dystopia.

When you grow up, you have to choose a side, and you better choose well, because you can never change that decision. Do you play it safe, and stay with the group that raised you, instilled its' values into you? Or are you better suited for another group?

Do the people in power have the right qualities to be in power? how is that decided? Why will things change?

That is all general enough, because I don't want to give much away. This is a great story, and I look forward to the next installment. There are strong characters, believable scenarios, not much fantastical or science fiction about it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

08/17/2011 page 36