Jody's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Oct 17, 11

bookshelves: dystopia, science-fiction
Read from October 13 to 17, 2011

Wow, this one was fun. Cline keeps the narrative quick and playful, and while the world-building may not be exactly original (most of the planets/worlds visited by the characters are re-creations of 80s movies/videogames/music videos), his expertise in weaving them all together into the overall plot keeps things fresh and fascinating. Also in his favor, his vision of a not-so-distant American future is scarily plausible.

Full disclosure: I am not a gamer. Most of the pop culture references are to 80s games--from pen-and-paper games like Dungeons and Dragons to early coin-op games like Pac-Man to early home console games like Adventure--none of which I'm particularly familiar with. Second most popular are references are to 80s movies, and then finally 80s music. Despite that, I never had trouble keeping up, and I look at it as an added bonus to those out there who know Cline's references--you get to feel superior!

It's one I would easily recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie Ok this book has some great reviews but when I see "Japanese robots" in the description I have trouble getting motivated to read it! As always, anxious to hear what you think!

Jody I haven't hit any Japanese robots yet, but yeah, I'll let you know. :) I'm apparently on a bit of a dystopia kick at the moment.

Jody Julie wrote: "Ok this book has some great reviews but when I see "Japanese robots" in the description I have trouble getting motivated to read it! As always, anxious to hear what you think!"

Okay, Julie, I can tell you now: Yes, there are Japanese robots. But only for like two pages. You got this, girl. :)

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie Ok I may give it a go:)!