Chade66's Reviews > Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy

U_50x66
Sep 12, 11

bookshelves: read-2011, urban-fantasy
Read on September 12, 2011

Some of my favorite writers (Butcher, Black and Briggs) wrote for this anthology. None of them disappointed. However, I was greatly disappointed by the fact that the majority of the stories did not fit my definition of urban fantasy, including the story by the anthology's editor.

Apparently, Datlow's definition of urban fantasy was that there had to be a city involved regardless of time and/or location of said city.

However at the 2011 Gencon panel on Urban Fantasy, the majority of the writers present agreed that Urban Fantasy had to be modern era, not high fantasy or sci fi placed in a city.

I'm torn about the rating. 4 out of 5 for the three above mentioned authors. 3 of 5 for the overall stories. 1 star to the editor for not understanding what urban fantasy is in the first place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked City.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (new)

Ellen there is no story in the book my me.

Chade66 My apologies, I thought there was, I'll have to recheck when I get home.

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen No problem. YOu might be confusing me with author Ellen Kushner, who does have a story in the book.
I'm not a writer at all. Just an editor.

Chade66 Ah, that must be it. My apologies again, normally I'm not that sloppy. Thanks for the correction!!