Natalie (Natflix&Books)'s Reviews > Girls in White Dresses

Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close

Oct 11, 13

bookshelves: favorite-books
Read in August, 2011

Find an updated review for this book on my blog: Natflix&Books where I explain the jump from four to five stars.

I loved Girls in White Dresses. I flew through it, ignoring almost everything else to get to the end. Each chapter is written like a short story, which is my favorite format for a novel. It is melancholy and funny and just oh-so-true. It tells the stories of a group of friends after college as they start to navigate their lives in the city. Their jobs and relationships, wedding showers of friends they are mostly happy for, actual weddings, pregnancy, holding on to the guys who aren't really right because at least they aren't alone, the fading of friendship with girls they were so close to during those college years.

My only complaint, and the reason I can not give this book five stars is that it was impossible to keep all of the girls straight. There are a couple of girls who are the 'main characters', but some of the stories were about girls who were mentioned earlier, but I couldn't remember details--and I read this almost straight through. Even with some of the more prominent characters, I would ask, 'now, Lauren was the waitress with the bad bartender boyfriend, right?' and have to flip back to make sure that I was thinking of the right character. If this was intentional on the author's part, a kind of statement about how girls of this age are all the same, then she did it brilliantly. Regardless, it was was sometimes confusing, and slowed down the narrative.

Don't let that deter you, though. I honestly did love this book. I loved the style, I cared about the characters, her writing is fresh and introspective and I wished it was longer. I can't wait to see what Jennifer Close writes next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls in White Dresses.

04/27/2012 "re-reading. I truly adore this book."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stacia (the 2010 club) I love the simplicity of the cover.

message 2: by rachel (new)

rachel The Smart One is also excellent. Lit "for women" doesn't get any better than Jennifer Close, definitely.

Natalie (Natflix&Books) rachel wrote: "The Smart One is also excellent. Lit "for women" doesn't get any better than Jennifer Close, definitely."

I did enjoy The Smart One, as well, although I'm partial to this one. Jennifer Close is an awesome writer and I can't wait to read whatever she comes up with next.

Natalie (Natflix&Books) Stacia (now censored by Goodreads) wrote: "I love the simplicity of the cover."

message 5: by rachel (new)

rachel Natalie (Natflix&Books) wrote: "rachel wrote: "The Smart One is also excellent. Lit "for women" doesn't get any better than Jennifer Close, definitely."

I did enjoy The Smart One, as well, although I'm partial to this one. Jenn..."

Yes, I bought this one immediately after finishing The Smart One and will probably turn to it soon. And now I will have to go look and see if she's working on a new project yet.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Natalie (Natflix&Books) wrote: "Stacia (now censored by Goodreads) wrote: "I love the simplicity of the cover."

I don't know how I missed this comment. Sorry. Yes, the cover is so pretty in its simplicity."

No worries. It happens all the time to me. Sometimes, GR screws up the notifications.