Celeste's Reviews > GUYKU: A Year of Haiku for Boys

GUYKU by Bob Raczka

Aug 25, 11

bookshelves: children-s-books, poetry
Read in August, 2011

I am generally suspicious of anything that claims to be "for boys" or "for girls." At the same time, as I am raising my little son, I am always on the lookout for positive images of masculinity. So I figured I should give Guyku a read. In the end, it turned out to be what I feared: a book of poetry that ought to be accessible to every child artificially limited in its scope to exclude half of them. The haiku in the book depict little boys playing in the woods, running around outside, and generally having a good time. All of these are activities that little girls can and do engage in. Young children spend a lot of time trying to figure out what is a "boy thing" and what is a "girl thing," and our job as parents and educators should be to help them see past those false dichotomies. Bob Raczka chooses instead to portray a world where little boys play with other little boys, and little girls are presumably off doing something else.

If the book had been titled something else, I would have given it a much higher rating. The poems themselves are well written and capture the enchantment children find in the natural world. Also, in our world of iPhone apps for toddlers, I think it is great to remind children of the fabulous world of fun you can have without any technology at all.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read GUYKU.

message 1: by Joni (new)

Joni Harris There are books especially written for girls, too. I don't see that as being a big problem. The book is cute and fun. Lighten up!

Diana Celeste, I couldn't agree more. It's a shame that the book isn't more inclusive, because the content is very cute.