Kirstie's Reviews > The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by H.P. Lovecraft

Aug 17, 11

Read in December, 2010

Having known the general gist of Cthulu for many years but never having read it I decided I had best buckle down and read it. At the time I read it I was heavily pregnant and did get a weird look from another coffee-shop patron while I sat reading it waiting for a friend.
There are several horror tales contained within and while i can see how terrifying they might have been when they were first written (and even for a good few decades after) by modern standards most are not bone-chilling but they are all still intriguing and a great insight into the minds and world of Lovecrafts time.
My version of the book had a whole section at the back explaining terms and sayings that might not be grasped by modern man, which I regularly referred to.
I will confess I did get a chill from 'The Colour of Out of Space'. Perhaps because I grew up in a rural area similar to the setting.
I definately recommend this book to both lovers of the horror genre and those who enjoy historical accounts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories.