Morgana's Reviews > Divide & Conquer

Divide & Conquer by Madeleine Urban

I finished it last night (or this morning?). At 5 a.m. But that's what you get when you start reading in the evening. The truth is I was going to wait for my paperback copy, but hell, I knew I would hit something (or someone) if I didn't read Divide & Conquer ASAP, so I bought the ebook version, too.

SPOILER ! ! !

As for the book itself, I loved it! More than Fish &Chips? I don't know. Probably. But what I know is the fact that despite my falling in love with this book one thing has been killing me. And not in a good way. I cannot deny that I'm an angst addict, but what happened in D&C... the kiss... hell, I'm still trying to come to terms with it. Maybe all this was needed for Zane to truly understand that he cannot take Ty for granted, that he could actually lose the best thing that's ever happened to him if he will not leave the past where it belongs and start living here and now, which means telling Ty how he truly feels about him. But still *sighs* I didn't like Ty's reaction to the kiss. Did he have to kiss him back?! God, I hate Nick. He could take a risk and tell Ty a long time ago how he truly felt about him. He had his chance and lost it. And now taking advantage of the situation, trying to convince Ty that if Zane loved him he would have said those three words back when Ty confessed his feelings is just low. Some best friend! *snorts*

As for my favourite moments in D&C, God, there were so many! I loved the softball field scene, the moment when Ty's eyes found Zane’s and Ty winked at him, and suddenly all clicked, the missing puzzle was finally found and Zane saw what he so hard tried not to see. He was in love. He loved Ty with every fiber of his being, and although it still scared him shitless, he could no longer deny what his heart had been trying to tell him for so long.

Another memorable moment – Ty and Zane dancing. God, I love this one! And though I don’t like the way Ty reacted to Zane’s “I love you”, I can understand why he brushed it off. After all, Zane did not intend to tell him that, the words just… slipped out. Having a sneak peak into Zane’s thoughts, we know these words could not be more true, but how Ty should know this? *sighs* It hurt, but that was probably for the best. Ty deserved these three words to be said intentionally, with conviction and not just because they slipped out. Yet, I cannot help but wish I knew what Ty thought at that moment. It must have killed him to brush off Zane’s confession. But he must have known Zane didn’t intend to tell him that, maybe Ty thought Zane was grateful for everything he had done for him, how he took care of him… or worse, maybe he thought it was just because of the tenderness of the moment, he himself said that Zane was just being seduced. And thus maybe Ty thought the words were just that – words, and meant nothing? And since he didn’t actually want to hear Zane taking them back (after all they only slipped out) he decided to give Zane the way out? Shit, I wish I knew.

And the end – the bomb, Zane’s bravery and then the best scene EVER. God, I couldn’t wish for more beautiful, heartwrenching scene in which Zane finally says what Ty has longed to hear for so long.

All in all, in Divide & Conquer we can see how Ty and Zane struggle through their fears and insecurities. The book shows us Zane’s achingly vulnerable side. And I'm not talking about his blindness only. Ironically, without his sight Zane can see better than ever before. He truly starts seeing, noticing things about Ty he has never thought of or paid attention to. Not only does he find out more about Ty, but also about himself. Furthermore, Zane’s stoic dealing with his blindness, not giving up or pitying himself show his inner strength, his exceptionally strong character, which is the study in contrast when we consider his opinion of himself when he thinks, fears that he’s not good enough for Ty, not seeing that he is for Ty exactly what Ty is for him – his anchor, his lifeline, his everything.

Moreover, in spite of the forces, the circumstances that try to divide Ty and Zane, causing them to have less and less time for one another, they stay strong, knowing that what they have is worth fighting for. Both try to conquer their fears, the biggest one - that of losing each other. I don’t know how Madeleine Urban & Abigail Roux plan to beat this book. It’s simply impossible! But hell, after reading the sneak peak into Armed and Dangerous I know that somehow they will!

Highly recommended!
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divide & Conquer.

Quotes Morgana Liked

Madeleine Urban
“Marines either know how to use an iron or they get married [...]. The iron is less dangerous.”

Madeleine Urban
“Dinner later. My house. Bring clothes for the weekend, ’cause you won’t be making it home.” Ty didn’t say another word, just turned and headed for the elevator at a stroll, shrugging into his overcoat as he went. Zane watched him go, enjoying the sight. “Score,” he said under his breath before he grabbed his phone and keys and hurried to follow.”
tags: ty, zane

Madeleine Urban
“Ty." Zane's even, soothing tones finally broke on the short gasp of his name. "I Love you and I'm scared I'll lose you. Please don't leave me alone in the dark.”

Madeleine Urban
“Promise you’ll scream for me tonight.”

Abigail Roux
“You’re not dessert, Zane. You’re the main course, Ty informed him in a husky drawl. And you have about five seconds to take your pick of flat surface before I do it for you.”

Abigail Roux
“He wanted Ty with him, wanted him badly. Needed him as a partner, and not just at work. Craved him as a lover more than he’d ever jonesed over heroin. Connected with him in so many ways that Zane couldn’t see a way to untangle himself and didn’t even want to try”

Abigail Roux
“He loved Ty Grady with all there was to give of his heart, and in the end, all it had taken was one wink for Zane to finally come to terms with it.”

Abigail Roux
“First time I saw you, after I got over hating you, I knew,” he said, echoing Ty’s words, “I knew I’d fall in love with you”

Abigail Roux
“Ty.” Zane’s even, soothing tones finally broke on the short gasp of his name. “I love you and I’m scared I’ll lose you. Please don’t leave me alone in the dark.”

Abigail Roux
“They didn't know Zane like he did. Ty knew his partner had to take the issue from every angle, analyze it to death, resurrect it, and then study its dead, rotting body to see the results. Yeah, it might take Zane four months to decide if he loved someone, and then more to decide if that was a good idea.
Ty didn't mind waiting.”

Abigail Roux
“The prospect of calling Zane’s parents to tell them he was seriously injured, and oh, by the way, I’m your son’s partner who let him go by himself into the building that blew up, nice to meet you, has he told you he likes cock?”

Abigail Roux
“You ever get gut feelings? Like you see something and you just know?” Ty asked, feeling stupid but not caring. He felt Zane squeeze his hand. “First time I saw you, after I got over hating you, I knew… I knew we’d die together. I could just feel it deep down. Never felt that before.”

Abigail Roux
“He‟d told Ty that he loved him, no ifs, ands, or buts. There was
no going back now, and Zane wouldn‟t if he had the chance. But damn,
they had to call some kind of moratorium on important declarations
during life-threatening situations.”

10/14/2011 page 313

message 1: by Lori K (new)

Lori K Great review.

Morgana Thanks, Lori! :D Glad you like it!

I don't write reviews of this length often. It's probably my longest one, but when I started I just couldn't seem to stop. And writing it really helped me to cool down because just after I finished reading D&C it was like WTF. I had to think everything through. Reread some scenes, meaning that horrible kiss, Ty's reaction to it, his thoughts after, his telling Zane about it, etc. Deciding to read again only those scenes was like going to my own execution, but I had to do this, and you know what, it really helped me understand Ty better. I'm not saying I approve of his every action, because he still can be as ass. And I both hate and love him for it. The more complex and flawed he gets, the more I feel for him. It only proves that he's human. He has his issues. But so does Zane. They both have scares, and I'm not talking about an evidence of a physical injury. I highly doubt that they'll ever be able to banish their demons for good. That's not how real life works. Their emotional scars run so deep that it's jus not possible to erase them entirely. But one can find a way to live with them and maybe just maybe heal the deepest ones to some extent. That's why I wrote in my review that they are each other's anchor, lifeline, each other's everything. And yes, the kiss hurt me deeply but I cannot stay mad at Ty. I feel for the guy. He's so imperfect with his bouts of selfishness that I want to both smack him and hug him and then do it all over again. I love him. And I love Zane. But I'm absolutely and irrevocably head over heels in love with them as a couple and have no idea how I'll survive till another book is released. It will be a looooooong wait. Guess some rereading sessions are in order. And yes, the use of plural is intentional XD

message 3: by Lori K (new)

Lori K I'm still mad at Ty but your review made me feel better for some reason. :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Have you reread it yet, Lori?

message 5: by Lori K (new)

Lori K Only a couple of parts to try to get a different vibe and, actually, it pissed me off worse.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

message 7: by Lori K (new)

Lori K Same for me. Kinda funny how worked up we all get (well, not you...LOL)

I think it's because I wasn't expecting it at all. Not like with Wi- - Well, you know who.

Morgana Kate Mc. wrote: "I want to reread it, but I'd like all of people's comments to get out of my head first. At this point I have too many preconceived ideas about it and I'd just reinforce what I'm already thinking."

I think I'm going to postpone rereading it for several more days, maybe weeks but I don't think I'm that strong. I pretty came to terms with what happend in the book (or so I'm telling myself), though the more I read how worked up almost everyone still is, the more I start feeling exactly how I felt just after I finished the last page, meaning WTF happend here?! Sounds like a vicious circle :/

Hellen I tried to re-read that part, but I got even more angry than before. I'm going to let it pass...

Stacey Great review, Morgana. You put into words exactly how I feel about this book, Ty, Zane, and the two of them as a couple. I'm personally going back to re-read the whole series, not just this book. Will be interesting to see how much my perception of them changes since the events of D&C. I am in love with them as a couple, just like you, so I can't imagine any other outcome besides them being together forever. Deep flaws and all.

Sagajo I like this:

Hellen Sagajo wrote: "I like this:

He could take a risk and tell Ty a long time ago how he truly felt about him. He had his chance and lost it."

Stacey +2 on that.

Morgana Stacey wrote: "Great review, Morgana. You put into words exactly how I feel about this book, Ty, Zane, and the two of them as a couple. I'm personally going back to re-read the whole series, not just this book. W..."

Thank you, Stacey! Finally someone who's not going to lynch Ty. With almost everyone still so worked up I feared I would revert back to my initial reaction to the book, meaning "OMG WTF is going on here?!", but I think it's safe to say that I won't, because the more I think about everything that happened in the book, the more I feel for Ty. I just cannot stay mad at him. His imperfections, flaws, his doubts, insecurities and even his thinking about that stupid kiss and what ifs, all this makes him human. With each book he becomes more real. The same goes for Zane, who like Ty has his own issues and who discovers that the only way he will be able to go through life is with Ty by his side. Ty, who is the reason why he joined AA group, quit smoking and generally, took better care of himself. Zane is so achingly vulnerable in this book that every time I think about all he went through - his blindness, trying not to fall apart when Ty told him about the kiss, I'm falling for him all over again. I find it fascinating that a man of such inner strength can be so insecure and vulnerable. But that's one of the reasons why I love him so much. Both of them. Because Ty, who is on the outside all tough is as much insecure on the inside. Not loving each one of them is impossible. But when they are together we are treated to such high dose of raw emotion, tenderness and deepest kind of LOVE and yes, loyalty that once you have a dose of them as a couple you need them like the air. That's how I feel. That's why every misunderstanding crushes me so much. And that's why every time I see them during those tender moments I fall in love with them all over again. They are highly addictive. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Morgana Hellen wrote: "Sagajo wrote: "I like this:

+1"

Stacey wrote: "+2 on that."

Thanks girls! :D

Hellen I hope you feel better. That's a loooong review :D I liked it.

message 17: by Morgana (last edited Oct 17, 2011 11:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Morgana Hellen wrote: "I hope you feel better. That's a loooong review :D I liked it."

Yeah, I do :) And thanks!

You know, when I start thinking/writing about Ty & Zane I just can't seem to stop. The words just flow :D

Hellen I hear ya!

Stacey Amen, Morgana! I am hopelessly addicted to them together, too, and loving every moment of it. Glad to have another Ty advocate :)

Morgana You're my new BFF, Stacey :D

Snowtulip Great review Morgana! My love for Ty grew with this book (yes, I had moments where he killed me, but still love him).

message 22: by Morgana (last edited Oct 17, 2011 05:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Morgana Snowtulip wrote: "Great review Morgana! My love for Ty grew with this book (yes, I had moments where he killed me, but still love him)."

And yeah, I agree. It's impossible not to love Ty. He may be an ass sometimes, but who wouldn't be with so many issues, doubts and insecurities as Ty has. And I know that in some situations he comes off as selfish, but he doesn't act as such to hurt Zane. It's his defense mechanism, like with the first "I love you". He's so insecure in this relationship, even more so with Zane being blind. After all, up to that moment they were partners, equals and suddenly shit happens and he's not even there to prevent the explosion or somehow help Zane. He's drugged in a car while his partner is alone and could very well die! He didn't have Zane's back. And of course it's so Ty to blame himself for this. And all he's able to think of is how he let Zane down. So from that very moment everything changes and he's the one on whom Zane leans. Terrified of the possibility that Zane's blindness could be a permanent thing. He's as much in the dark as Zane is, or even more so, I dare say. Zane can lean on Ty but on whom can Ty lean for support? Ty's not accustomed to such situations. And while Zane is vulnerable in this book, so is Ty. And Nick comes when Ty is at his most vulnerable. So yeah, he behaves like a selfish prick when he expects Zane to hold his hand after he tells him about the kiss, but hey, the guy's world's just collapsed. He comes clean to his Recon team, tells them that he likes guys, one of his buddies turns his back on him and what's probably even worst - he finds out that his best friend lied to him, the same best friend professes his love for him and kisses the hell out of Ty when he knows that Ty loves another man! Shocked doesn't cover how Ty must have felt in that moment. So I truly cannot blame him for being insensitive. It's obvious he loves Zane and his yelling at Zane for risking his life when he grabbed the bomb and ran shows just how scared Ty was that he would lose the best thing that ever happend to him. So what there is not to love? :)