Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen)'s Reviews > Tempest Rising

Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

Sep 14, 11

bookshelves: purchased
Read from August 16 to September 14, 2011

I love mermaids: I think about them, dream about them, and write about them. And I am just elated to see how many mermaid books are getting published today. A little horrified as well, but so far no one has written *my* mermaid novel. Well, not exactly, anyway.

As you can see, I started this book about a month ago, and I think this review is going to suffer just a bit because of that. I must have had way too many things going on at the time to undertake this book, which I read for fun rather than for an official Luxury Reading or Simply Stacie review. This one I bought, and couldn't wait to read--even if it meant review books would just have to wait.

TEMPEST RISING is fun in a lot of ways; it combines mermaids AND selkies, and that equals awesome...only I didn't feel that they were really all that well defined. So a selkie and a mermaid can apparently have a relationship with each other? If they have children together, then what species/breed does that make the little kiddies? And wouldn't the mermen be a little upset over the selkies taking their mermaids away from them? If mermaids can breed with humans, can mermen do this also? Sooo many questions, but like I said, I think about mermaids, dream about them, yadda yadda yadda. I wanted to know more about the relationship between mermaids, selkies, and mermen, but with a first person narrative and us knowing only what Tempest knows, there's a little left over to be desired.

When Tempest turns 17, she has to make a choice between the land and the sea. There's this whole prophecy thing that doesn't come into play until more than halfway into the book (reminded me a bit of Harry Potter...raised away from her own kind because the parents think it would be best), and Tempest is going to be some sort of savior to her mother's people. And her mother, by the way, is a super important priestess of her clan. She has been battling the evil sea witch for centuries.

So the evil sea witch is supposed to be scary and murderous and lurking everywhere, but she doesn't make an appearance toward the end when there's this huge battle. She made a few plays to capture Tempest, but we never actually get to see her until near the end. I wanted more of her. I was never really scared of her--and I definitely wasn't scared for Tempest.

I also really wanted to see more of Tempest's mother. I am completely disappointed in how everything with her turned out. For the majority of TEMPEST RISING, Tempest complains about her mother and how much she hates her, and then she has this teeny little appearance and it's not as epic as I thought it would be, considering what this woman is to her people.

Tempest is a bit hard to figure out. She's completely in to herself. It's all about her, and her feelings toward her mother for deserting her--but Tempest also has two little brothers. She doesn't even give them a thought until the last 10% of the novel. They are going to have it much worse than she is, because they are mermen. But again--why?

There's a bit of a love triangle, too. Tempest has a human boyfriend, Mark. She's supposedly totally in love with him, but I never really sensed that. She too easily gave in to temptation when Kona, the selkie prince, comes around. As many faults as Mark has, I think he deserved better treatment than she gave him. Truly I can't blame her, because Kona is pretty attractive, and he's all the things that Mark is not.

I feel like I'm straddling a scale right now (not a mermaid scale--ha ha!) and I'm undecided on whether or not to read the next Tempest book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest Rising.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Princess Bookie ha, your having trouble getting through this and I liked! I'm having trouble with Drink Slay Love!

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) I think it is mostly because I've been reading it for too long. I'm getting impatient. It just got better for me last night with a scene between Kona and Tempest. I think I'm on chapter 15 now. Maybe I'll finish by the weekend.

Wendy Darling Hm, doesn't sound promising. I'm still waiting for that great mermaid book, too!

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) Skipping this one, then?

*sighs*

I think I have about 4 or 5 mermaid books to read...and I'm not motivated anymore.

Wendy Darling I'm in no hurry to read this--I've seen a lot of mixed reviews. I have a few to read myself, but I have to space them out, since they inevitably seem to disappoint me.

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) You probably have the same ones as me: Lost Voices, Mermaid by Carolyn Turgeon, Between the Sea and the Sky...hmm. That might be all that I have...

Wendy Darling Um...I was not a fan of Lost Voices and I haven't heard of Mermaid. But I'm dying to read the Jaclyn Dolamore. Hurry up and read it, Jennifer! :)

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) I think I'm outta control at the moment, so I'm going to knock out one of the other books I've been reading for far too long. Expect another not so happy review in the next 24 hours. :-( I need to get this 3 books at one time thing done with!!!!!!!!

But I'm flying out to L.A. in less than two weeks, so I will be sure to pack at least 2 or 3 books...