Riccarla Roman's Reviews > Bless Me, Ultima

Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya

F_50x66
Aug 16, 11

Read in August, 2011

I read this book because it was part of my daughter's summer assignment. I had heard a lot about it since it's almost required reading in the schools here. I wonder how it reads to a teenager.

The story of Antonio, a young boy who is torn between his mother and father's heritage. His mother is a luna, a farmer. His father is a marez, a cowboy of the llano. Each one wants him to follow his/her heritage. With three older brothers off in WWII, two vapid sisters, and the tug-of-war between his parents, his only port in this storm is his grandmother, Ultima. A curandera, whom some people call a witch, Ultima was present at his birth and encourages him to find out who he truly is. She also teaches him that we must always be aware of the consequences of the actions we take.

The book is mostly episodes in his life, pleasant, funny ones followed by frightening, yet realistic ones of the evil that men do. He is also blessed or plagued by dreams that are prophetic and scary.
It was an interesting story, not what I'm used to, but definitely worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bless Me, Ultima.