LenaLena's Reviews > Divide & Conquer

Divide & Conquer by Abigail Roux

Oct 21, 2011

liked it
Read from October 20 to 21, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divide & Conquer.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Why are you not reading this? It's next week already. *poke, poke*

I have been such a good girl and NOT dropped ANY spoilers. But that might change.........

LenaLena It's supposed to come to netgalley this week (although they just added new books and it isn't there *grumble*) and I am trying to save me $7. I know, I am cheap. That and I am trying to prove to myself I actually do have some self control when it comes to buying books.
But I swear if it isn't there by Thursday when my husband goes out of town for two day and I get to deal with the hunyaks all by myself I'll be treating myself to this one.

You have been a very good girl! And I've been good and not read your review although I couldn't help spotting the 3 stars.....

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

It's not a BAD three stars.

LOL. I haven't heard "hunyak" since I was a kid and it was mostly directed at me. I'd say treats were in order.

LenaLena I was surprised that word came through the spell check actually!
My husbands dad used to call him that, so he refers to the kids that way when they are being particularly wild (as opposed to being just regularly wild).

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, that's exactly how my parents used it. I've never heard it anywhere else. I wonder if it's a regional slang thing? Where was his dad from? My parents both grew up in/near the Bay Area.

LenaLena His dad was from Kentucky, so I'd say no on the regional thing.

LenaLena It it Thursday, netgalley kindly sent me this book this morning, the kids are in school and my client canceled last minute. Whatever shall I do?

I know! Finish Cold Turkey!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL. I think you should clean house. :P

Sarasaya Oh, me too me too, pass me the mic:
*cough*

It it Thursday, I'm alone and my city is flooded. Whatever shall I do?

I know! Finish Cold Turkey!

LenaLena Kate, you are insane.... My husband is not going to be home until tomorrow!

Yeah, Sara, that looks decidedly unsafe. You should stay in. And finish Cold Turkey.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

*rolls eyes* As if you thought I was actually serious!

Okay you're out of excuses now. READ IT!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Sara, looks like you need to take up kayaking. Yikes!

message 13: by LenaLena (last edited Oct 20, 2011 11:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

LenaLena 4% in!

Cold Turkey was really good!

LenaLena So. I've read it. But I am not entirely sure what I think. I liked it, but something about it bugs me and I am still trying to figure out what it is.

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 22, 2011 09:04AM) (new)

I could offer a number of suggestions:

1) They feel "girly" in this one. Ty's chat with his buddies about whether Zane had said "I love you" or not, the whole reaction/response to "the kiss", etc.

2) Zane's blindness was tacked on. No one really dealt with it or was worried much about it.

3) The suspense plot was the lamest yet, although lame plots are part and parcel of this story.

4) Despite Zane's saying the "three little words" it didn't feel like either guy had moved any further towards commitment. They still get into punching each other up more than talking or at least doing more than playing one-up-manship...like 10 year olds.

5) This is beginning to feel written for the sake of putting a book out and collecting sales rather than moving the story along.

Should I continue? No. Or I might knock my rating down, and while I didn't really like it, there was SOME good stuff in this, but just not developed very well. Ty's deterioration was too clumsy and sudden.

ETA: Maybe I don't know the guys any better than I did after book #2?

message 16: by LenaLena (last edited Oct 22, 2011 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

LenaLena Well, I am not even going to bitch about the plot, we know going in that that isn't what these books are about, except to function as a way to get the MCs hurt, physically and emotionally. Ty & Zane: bring on the pain.

I mean, Pierce runs into a gathering of cops waving around a bomb... Suicidal much?

Anyway. I guess I was apprehensive as soon as I heard there were another bunch of books planned. To me that meant that character growth was going to be dished out too sparingly in each installment and I think that was one of the problems. It felt like a blip on the radar, rather than a progression.

The blindness didn't bother me as tacked on. It was clear it was going to be temporary, so not much handwringing was needed, and it did force Zane into a passive role that was grating for both of them. So as a plot function it worked for me.

What didn't work for me was that this book felt like 80% Zane and 20% Ty. It reminded me of the Dan-Vadim problem a bit. We get to spend so much time in one characters head the other one becomes a bit abstract. The supposed 'breakdown' Ty has at the end came out of the blue for me. Except the scenes where he digs Zane out of the rubble and where he interacts with Nick I don't remember being in his head.

But my biggest problem is not that they act like 10 year olds and slug each other, but that they act like 19 year olds in their first relationship. Ty is so easily talked into doubting Zane's love by Nick's bitchy comments. I always saw him as the guy who knows what he knows and won't back down unless he's knocked unconscious. And here he sits letting Nick talk smack and not saying a thing? I was waiting for a 'You don't know what the fuck you're talking about and until you do just shut the fuck up.' (Never mind not calling him on the 'I think I'll just let you come out all by yourself and let the rest of guys think you're the only gay dude at this table' bit of cowardice. That would have been my first reaction after that kiss anyway.) Technically, it is Ty's first relationship, so I guess I can cut him some slack. But he'd better learn fast.

But now Zane. The guy is 42 and has been married. For fucks sake, hasn't he learned by now that you just need to say what you need to say no matter how scary it is? That clamming up about the important stuff is gonna kill you inside and your partner too? That to have clumsy attempts at saying the right thing at the wrong time is far better that not saying anything at all? That once you start talking you'll get a chance to fix it if it was clumsy? Who was this Becky that she never pounded that into his head sometime in the past 20 years? How do you get to be 42 and married and not know this? There is no excuse for Zane to act like he is 22. And this whole suddenly realizing he is in love with Ty? How dense is he? We've known ever since they cuddled up after having sex the first time instead of retreating to their own beds. Ever since the 'Are you feeling this too?' in Cut & Run. Again: he's done this before. He knows what love feels like. How can he not recognize it? When he finally does in the bleechers, to me it's not an 'awwwwwww' moment, it's a 'no shit, sherlock' moment.

So there are like 600 posts on the Ty&Zane board (should be the Zane&Ty board really). Should I read them all? Should I voice my opinion there? Or nwill I be crucified and had I better go play somewhere else?

message 17: by LenaLena (last edited Oct 22, 2011 10:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

LenaLena What I want to read about when it comes to Ty & Zane:

1) Ty and the media. I can't believe they left him alone after all that happened. Would have been interesting to read about how he deals with that pressure. And how his bosses deal with it.

2) Ty & Zane getting tired of hiding their relationship from their coworkers and the fall out of their accidentally/purposely coming out. At work, with family, the media, the whole mess.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

570 of those posts are related to "did Ty cheat", "Nick is a bastard", devolving into "poor Zane, doesn't Ty know how vulnerable he is", then morphing into "Ty is suddenly having to deal with all the issues he's buried and refused to think about". It isn't worth reading and it's all very superficial.

I don't think you'd be crucified. Go for it.

To me this book felt like 80% Ty and 20% Zane, so I guess it's what parts you focus on. Mostly I thought OMG I can't do 5 more of this!!

Zane's soul searching, etc. is part of what I called "girly" above. It's not realistic for a 42 year old man, even one as closed as he is. Ty doesn't act 34 either. After 4 books I need more progress. Even Dan and Vadim talk more than these guys do and they had real issues beyond "he loves me, he loves me not."

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Have you read Warrior's Cross?

I'm interested in what you think of it. Especially since they are writing a crossover for the next book.

LenaLena Not read Warrior's Cross. I'll make a point of doing that. Especially since I just read on the board that you 'hated, hated, hated' it. LOL. This I have to see.

Off to Six Flags with the boys. Where's my kindle?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Marleen wrote: "Not read Warrior's Cross. I'll make a point of doing that. Especially since I just read on the board that you 'hated, hated, hated' it. LOL. This I have to see.

Off to Six Flags with the boys. W..."

Have fun with the boys. Send them on the roller coasters and read the Kindle while you wait for them to come staggering off. Fun for everyone. ;)

LenaLena The big boys ran off and I got stuck entertaining the 7 year old. Didn't get much reading done, but we had a good time together. He's not going to want to do the bird show and tiger show and the butterfly house for much longer. I got stuck without the kindle in a 1.5 hour line for one of the rollercoasters that does not go upside down (he doesna't want to do those yet), because someone else was holding my purse. Thank god I have Manna Francis on my phone, cause I HATE standing in those lines.

Any chance you have Warrior's Cross available as kindle-loan?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Nope. Sorry. You might ask in the Ty/Zane group.

Sarasaya I'm a bit worried to start this one...I didn't read your comments, btw, I don't want spoilers, just a question:

from 1 to 10, how much it's frustrating?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

from 1 to 10, how much it's frustrating?"

Varies depending on which aspect of this book I'm focusing on. I'd say 5-7.

Lauraadriana Kate Mc. wrote: "Sarasaya wrote: "I'm a bit worried to start this one...I didn't read your comments, btw, I don't want spoilers, just a question:

from 1 to 10, how much it's frustrating?"

Varies depending on whic..."

Yep I'd say they have been more frustrating before, do you think so Kate?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Frustration with the guys is about the same as in previous books. My biggest frustration is with the authors and how they are (apparently) structuring the story arc.

Lauraadriana Kate Mc. wrote: "Lauraadriana wrote: "Yep I'd say they have been more frustrating before, do you think so Kate? "

Oh well yeah, I'm worried about these nine books.

Sarasaya Mmm, thanks girls, I'll think about it.

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 23, 2011 09:20AM) (new)

Sarasaya wrote: "Mmm, thanks girls, I'll think about it.
:)"

One of the things I needed was the humor of the last two books. It's almost completely missing. I didn't realize how much I rely on that to get through the other stuff.

Jaime Kate Mc. wrote: "570 of those posts are related to "did Ty cheat", "Nick is a bastard", devolving into "poor Zane, doesn't Ty know how vulnerable he is", then morphing into "Ty is suddenly having to deal with all t..."

WOW Kate....I'm so glad you thought the talk in the Ty/Zane group was superficial :(

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Jaime wrote: "Kate Mc. wrote: "570 of those posts are related to "did Ty cheat", "Nick is a bastard", devolving into "poor Zane, doesn't Ty know how vulnerable he is", then morphing into "Ty is suddenly having t..."

Sorry Jaime, that wasn't a well thought out remark on my part. Some of the commentary is really insightful. The problem is that much of it was people, including me, engaging in emotional ranting. Which is fun and fine for releasing frustration, but isn't really very useful in understanding the story.