Andrea (mrsaubergine)'s Reviews > Bel-Ami

Bel-Ami by Guy de Maupassant

Sep 13, 11

Read in September, 2011

OK, so the guy on the cover is neither handsome nor particularly young looking, but it goes without saying who I pictured in my head while reading this novella ;)

The subtitle "The History of a Scoundrel" certainly describes this book perfectly. Georges Duroy is a cad of the highest order who has little talent but still manages to claw his way to become the editor of a newspaper. He wins a Legion of Honor medal for being the French foreign minister's PR flunkey, and gains a fortune based on borrowed money and extortion. And as for the ladies... well, they seem to be lining up around the corner.

I was thoroughly amused by the journalism practices detailed in the beginning - reporters making up their interviews and pocketing their expenses - because it seems like very little has changed since 1885 when this was writen.

When the story ended I felt a little dissatisfied. I really expected Georges to get his comeuppance, but he never did. I guess that's another thing that never changes. Still, I enjoyed the tale and would give it 3.5 stars. Looking forward to the movie version.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bel-Ami.