Kimberly's Reviews > The Last Lecture

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

851919
May 28, 2008

Read in May, 2008

I was first "introduced" to Mr. Pausch while watching the Oprah show in the fall. My father in law was in the hospital at the time, fighting melanoma that had metastacized to his lungs. Simply stated, I stopped folding clothes and cried so hard during that show. Soon after, the emails began to circulate with links to the last lecture on utube and I watched every link I got and cried even more. I read all the internet articles and was touched every time. When I saw the book was coming out, I jumped on board and knew I had to read it. I never knew how emotional this book would be for me. The day (August 15, 2007) Randy Pausch got the devistating news that his cancer had spread and there was nothing the doctors could do anymore, is the same day that we arrived at MD Anderson with my father in law, knowing things were not right. I came across this in the book and had to put it down for days. This was just hitting too close to home for me. I finally was able to pick it back up and continue. This book and Mr. Pausch's stories are so touching and true that we can all find something in there that will help us want to be a better person. We can all find some bit of wisdom that can be carried into our lives. I cried so many times reading this, but I laughed several times too! Anyone who has had their life touched by cancer will benefit from the optimism Mr. Pausch has, but it will be a very difficult read just because of the seriousness of the issues at hand. Just the sheer optimism in such a negative world is very uplifting.

I ran across several quotes from the book that I felt were so important that I needed to use my trusty post it notes to mark them for future reference. Here they are:
Pg. 51- "The brick walls are there for a reason. They're not there to keep us out. The brink walls are there to give us a chance to how how badly we want something." Mr. Pausch refers to the brick walls so many times, but it is so true!
pg.111- "Time is all you have. And you may find one day that you have less than you think." This has been a major realization in my life this past year. We thought we had so much time with my father in law. And we lost him so quickly. Take the time to do the things you want and never put them off.
pg. 119- "Luck is indeed where preparation meets opportunity." This goes back to my old Girl Scout motto "Be prepared."
pg.148- "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." Glad to know I've gotten something! And now it makes sense.
pg.156- "A lot of people want a shortcut. I find the best shortcut is the long way, which is basically two words: work hard." Wow! If we could all stop taking the shortcuts and work a little harder, could imagine what might happen?!?!
pg.159- "All you have is what you bring with you" This is the chapter title and it sure says a lot.
53 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Lecture.

Quotes Kimberly Liked

Randy Pausch
“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.”

Randy Pausch
“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.”

Randy Pausch
“Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”

08/15 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie I can't wait to read this as well!

Patricia Lucero I agree with you so much. I picked up the book shortly after my mom was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. I read it because I had heard so many things about the book and happened to see an interview with Randy and Dianne Sawyer. So I too rushed out to buy it. I hadn't read a book in a long time that made me angry, sad, frustrated and at the same time make me think back to my child hood. His life lessons were simular to the ones I had and because of the little reminder, as well as his zest for life made me realize that life for me and my mom will be okay if we just live everyday as if it were the last.

Kaitlyn My teacher, Mrs.McGarvey read us a few chapters and they just blew me away! I suddenly had an idea on the Author's MIT right away! I still remember the part where he let his neice and nephew to spill stuff in his car,etc. and we read that in September!! Truly Amazing and INSPIRATIONAL

Janine Cox Great review!!! Your understanding and appreciation for Randy's courage, strength and selflessness is admirable!!!! He could have become self absorbed with pity to say the least! Instead Mr. Pausch made very good use of the little time he had left on the planet to impart his personal life lessons, encouragement and advice for a self fulfilling life! Although, Mr. Pausch was going to be taken away from his beautiful family so early, he chose to continue giving as much as possible to his children, and at the same time to many others! Remarkable

Miquel Reina Your review is touching Kimberly! For me this book it was like a revelation. I love the quote of the brick wall!

Florentina Hey Kimberly! I just finished it and althought the book faces death I never feel so full of life!