Grady's Reviews > Fat Girl

Fat Girl by Jessie Carty

Aug 16, 11

Jessie Carty's engaging collection of poems FAT GIRL is at once entertaining, humorous, well written, and disconcerting. Her topic appears to be a fantasy on her obesity, but it just may be about girls who see themselves as overweight (no, according to Carty's honesty, the word 'fat' must be used!), or even studies in self perception for us all. Each of us has a visual concept of who we are and how we appear to those around us, whether or not that concept relates to reality is a question that Carty raises.

At any rate, this fine book (another in the increasing publications of exceptional poetry and literature form Sibling Rivalry Press) is rich in inventive thought and poetic expression. Reading these poems allows us to laugh out loud, to turn our head in embarrassment that we may have made some of these observations, to weep at the insecurity that hides barely exposed between the line of some of these poems. Carty's ideas stated poetically are painful, as in the following poem:

Fat Girl at the OB/GYN

On the second day of my first period,
my mother took me to the doctor.

Thank God, I thought as another cramp
clutched my left side.

At 13, I was taller than the doctor
and wider than my mother

who was sure my puberty
was advancing like cancer.

Mom told the doctor I needed the pill.
She was sure my love

of Twinkies would translate
to my fat thighs opening at any touch.

But Jessie Carty can also be hilarious in her descriptions of how she copes with her body:

The Fat Girl on Grooming

From the medicine cabinet she pulls the nail clippers.
She sits on the toilet, reaching down to her left foot.
Her left breast swells up into her chin. Grabbing
the breast, she places it on the left side of her left knee.
With her chin on her knee she begins clipping. She
can even reach the right foot as long as she leaves
her right breast dangling between her legs.

Courage, honesty, humor, resignation - all live within these pages. They carry an ouch. Jessie Carty is a young poet to watch and to notice her watching us with that same critical eye.

Grady Harp
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fat Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessie Carty Thank you for reading the book and for taking the time to write a review. I'm honnored :)

Grady The pleasure is mine, Jessie. The review has been submitted to Amazon et al but they are slow in posting. Looking forward to you next book!
Grady