Starbubbles's Reviews > The Tyrant Falls in Love, Volume 1

The Tyrant Falls in Love, Volume 1 by Hinako Takanaga

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: manga
Read in August, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I wasn't planning on reading this one off my to-read list so quickly, but once I started, I really couldn't stop. I read though 7 volumes in just under 3 days, so with that said, I'm left feeling confused about how I feel about this one. For starters, it's graphic, much more than I had prepared myself for.

Rape keeps coming up, and performed by people who you are suppose to root for. Okay, so Morigana's is debatable, I'll give it that, but for Makasi? I think not. It was cruel and twisted, and I'm still suppose to see him as a victim of emotional trauma by his victim? What?! Is the defination of rape different in Japan? I get the revenge, I get social prejudice, I get the desire for acceptance, and coming to terms with your sexuality. I really do get these, but I feel as though just about every character in here is a tyrant. Just about all of the big players having trouble seeing past themselves, even when they are "trying."

I enjoyed the love story aspect, even if there was a weak at best subplot to go along with it. The artwork was lovely, well, the parts that I could look at anyway. And despite how I was basically introduced to Morigana, I do find myself rooting for him and thinking he's a tad cute. He tries so hard, even if he does get stuck in his own head.

Will I read more if I can find it? Probably. Will I read this again? I don't know. This isn't one I can keep re-read like some of my others, but it could pop up as a once in a blue moon read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tyrant Falls in Love, Volume 1.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Jucchan ooooh ! This is so fantastic!

Starbubbles I hope so! But I don't see me getting to it anytime soon though