Lady Lioness's Reviews > Burning Skies

Burning Skies by Caris Roane

Sep 10, 11

bookshelves: tbr-journal, subgenre-vampires, genre-paranormal-romance, read-september-2011
Read from September 09 to 10, 2011

I would've given this book four stars except I felt it needed some editing. There was some repetitive language and metaphors (comparisons to a cactus popped out at me more than once). In addition, the pacing was uneven, not uncommon in a book of this size. The book is also very dependent on the reader having read the first book in the series, Ascension. Burning Skies really starts in Ascension and the main couple in that book, Kendrick and Allison, are important in Burning, but their introduction in the second book is minimal.

Despite those flaws, Burning has interesting characters and an unique world. All the characters have wings, but they are more vampiric than angelic. It's a bit of a cross between J. R. Ward's Brotherhood books and the 2012 end of the world spiritual battle romances (the one that springs to mind is Nina Bangs's Dinosaur series). The emotion is strong throughout the book and I did tear up a bit at the end. By the time I was finished, I was definitely eager to pick up the next book because I was very interested in Anthony & Parisa, and the meaning behind royale wings.

I've never read any of the books Roane has written under the name Valerie King, but I may have to see if I can pick one up now, along with Wings of Fire.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burning Skies.