Matthew Koch's Reviews > Out of Our Minds: Learning to Be Creative

Out of Our Minds by Ken Robinson

Mar 12, 2012

Read from August 26, 2011 to March 12, 2012

This book really opened my eyes to some important flaws in the education system and beyond. It left me feeling a bit ripped off that I was not told, or did not see this earlier. As described by Ken Robinson, I have often stated "I'm not a creative person" long before knowing about this book. I now understand that there are different forms of creativity and have made changes to the way I approach and express my creativity.

In order to make a life worth living, we need to find ways to realise our creative potential and unleash our individuality. Current education systems create machines and this is why there is a growing feeling of worthlessness because we have nothing to offer except the functions of the machines that we have been turned into.

I put a lot less importance on what is taught in schools and how it is assessed and now prefer to observe how a child develops as an individual and someone not afraid to ask questions and follow a passion.

I did lose interest in the book in some parts of the book but cannot underestimate the value of the information that I have taken from it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Our Minds.

08/28/2011 page 10