Beth's Reviews > Rock On: An Office Power Ballad

Rock On by Dan Kennedy

Aug 16, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction

Funny and forgettable.

There are some laugh-out-loud moments in this book, especially those depicting the culture of marketing meetings and the you-wanna-be-a-winner-don't-ya attitudes so rife in corporate America. Mr. Kennedy's at his best when he's writing bits that could describe *any* corporation. Why? Because we already know that the music industry is more interested in money than talent and that it's out of touch. I wonder just how many people Dan Kennedy's age really are naive enough to think that there are cool rock-n-roll types running any big record (ahem) company.

Mr. Kennedy skewers Jewel for selling out to sell razors (rightfully, IMO; I wish the sell-outs would just admit that they're selling out), but in his otherwise fabulous description of an Iggy Pop concert, he fails even to mention the connection between Iggy Pop and Royal Caribbean. Well, maybe it's easier to criticize a young woman than it is a middle aged man. Or maybe one can't criticize an icon.

I found myself wishing for more details, more substance. Clearly, Mr. Kennedy had much to say about the music industry specifically and corporate America more generally; it didn't get said, though. Commentary on the American working life is lurking below the surface, as if the author is afraid to say it aloud.

This is an easy read; it'll take you all of a single afternoon. But it's thin (as many easy reads are), and, therefore, forgettable. It's kind of like a blog--something interesting to look at during your lunch hour that you forget as soon as 1:00 rolls around.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rock On.