Tony Smith's Reviews > In the President's Secret Service: Behind the Scenes with Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents They Protect

In the President's Secret Service by Ronald Kessler

Aug 23, 11

bookshelves: book-club
Recommended to Tony by: Lindsey Myers
Read from August 18 to 22, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: Once

In the President's Secret Service: Behind the Scenes with Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents They Protect is an interesting read but at times I was disappointed with the stories Ronald Kessler provided.

As a historian, I was asking myself questions on why details revolving certain events were not shared with the reader to better understand the situation. Instead the author spent considerable time sharing snippets of information in the early sections of the book. This included the odd behaviors of the presidents and the reactions by the agents who protected them. Regretfully the context of the situations were not discussed.

Ultimately one may view this book as an attack or defense on a number of individuals. With these character descriptions, one could perceive some political bias from the author because of the lack of balance.

Finally, I was quite surprised that the depth of detail the author spent with the Tarek and Michaele Salahi scandal. This was the last chapter of the book regarding the lack of protection during President Obama’s first state dinner and Ronald Kessler did an excellent job with this chapter. Because he wrote this one chapter so well, it causes me to wonder why he failed to the same for the rest of this book.

I give this review 2.5 out of 5 stars. Rounding for GoodReads, this makes it a 3 star review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the President's Secret Service.