Rebecca's Reviews > Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat

Making Rounds with Oscar by David Dosa

1209210
Aug 23, 11

bookshelves: 2011, bookclub
Read in August, 2011

I have to admit, when Jennefer told me that October's bookclub was about a cat, I wasn't that excited. Anyone that knows me knows I'm not a huge fan of animals (although cats are better than dogs) and I wasn't that thrilled about reading about a cat. However, I'm so glad that I read it. What I liked about the book is that it started out with trying to discover what this cat was all about, but it really was more about dementia and Alzheimer's disease than anything. Dr. Dosa shared many different stories of patients and families affected by the disease. I have to admit, I shed a few tears. My favorite quote of the book was when Dr. Dosa was describing his own challenge with arthiritis and having this chronic illness. He said,

There are more important things than careers and grants. There are day to day victories, the gifts of the here and now. Instead of worrying about my old age and my grandchildren, couldn't I just rejoice in being able to carry my newborn baby down the stairs or play soccer with my son?

I love the perspective this book lends. My daughter Kaylin has two chronic illnesses and it seems like sometimes I worry so much about the future, that I need to step back and enjoy the time now. I think that also applies to motherhood. Sometimes we just need to find joy in the journey and not worry so much about the "what ifs" of the future. We just need to appreciate others and be thankful for what we have and for the people we love.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Rounds with Oscar.