Will's Reviews > Great Expectations

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Aug 27, 11

Read from August 20 to 27, 2011

I know that it might sound a tad strange but I cried at the end of Great Expectations. I really felt as though this book spoke to me in a certain sense. The story draws on the idea that many of the expectations that are present within other peoples' subjective ideals are never your own. But it seems as though when we grow up we allow other people to shape our lives and create our beings into ghosts of themselves.

I guess I became emotional when reading this book because I am currently 23 years old and have the same feelings as Pip. Im not sure where to lead my life at this point. i felt as though I have let other people influence me so much through my younger years that I have lost sight of the expectations that I carry for myself.

This is a very long book. Im not saying this from a page length perspective but more from a conceptual perspective. Like most Dickens books its very long and drawn out with descriptions of things you would rather hear about in one sentence. Yet I feel that's what makes Dickens so great. He can describe fully describe events within their entire perceptual being. If you decide to read Great Expectations just know there will be boring moments during reading, but just like with most Dickens books the ending will pay off rather well.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Great Expectations.

08/23/2011 page 100
18.0% "People said this would be boring, but im really liking this book so far."