Heather's Reviews > Reunited

Reunited by Hilary Weisman Graham

Jun 14, 12

Read from June 12 to 13, 2012

So, you ever read a book that makes you want to go back to high school? No? Me either. But this makes me want to go back to the summer between graduation and college. It also makes me want to send this book to a best friend that I can no longer even call friend. The kind I've known since I was in first grade. The kind that was there when my first child was born. Then something bad happened and I walked away, but I miss her. That's what kind of book this is, it makes you miss those friends that really knew you when you were a kid all the way through high school. The kind that knew you in those God awful nerdy 7th grade awkward days with the braces and the terrible hair. Yep those friends.

That's the kind of friends Alice, Summer and Tiernan are or were until something happened at the Winter Wonderland Dance between Summer and Alice brought on by Tiernan and they all practically ran away from each other. They had been thick as thieves until high school. They used to hang out at Alice's house in the Pea Pod- The Green '76 Volkswagen Van up on blocks in the backyard. Level3 posters and collages covered the van. The girls knew the words to all the songs and even had dance routines. Then as a graduation present, Alice's parents fix the van up for her, leaving the insides alone, and hand her the keys. That's why on the spur of the moment Alice buys the tickets to the concert and invites both Tiernan and Summer. Neither are bit by the nostalgia bug but they have their own reasons for going.

The trip from the get go is tense and hilarious. From an ex-con to an introduction to kudzu to Bourbon street and the heat of the South, the girls experience a lot in the five days it takes them to get from Massachusetts to Texas. I enjoyed every moment of it and because I didn't know these girls that well, I never had friends like them (don't worry, I had friends) I couldn't predict what they would do. Because as the miles rolled away, the girls changed and grew. Each one was uniquely different. Alice, though she seems shy and nerdy, she's adamantly honest about how she feels. She gets it off her chest and then she's done with it. Tiernan, though she appears to be a rebel with blue hair and Doc Martens, has never really recovered from her parents divorce, her dad's desertion and her mom burying herself in her job. She just wants to be accepted somewhere, wherever she can find it. And Summer, she's the cheerleader type dating the football player, really popular, the kind that everyone hates behind her back, very pretty and looks really put together, like she's got it all made. But she really doesn't. She just wants some attention and she's probably in a relationship that ended a long time ago just so she wouldn't be alone. She writes poetry and plans to get the H out of Dodge as soon as she can. She's a cheerleader with layers. You really don't see that in YA. So these three girls are all anomalies to me. Maybe you've seen them before, not me.

But don't worry, this novel is meant to entertain as well as slip a little lesson in and the entertainment factor is high. I totally slipped away from my world and into that Pea Green VW Van traveling along the road listening to the GPS telling me to enter the motorway in 3/4 of a mile. I think I'll try the British voice on my GPS, they had such fun with theirs. Had to wipe the tears of laughter away a few times so I could continue reading. It's got a bit of romance but it's more about friendship. But you know girls when they get together, can't go ten minutes without talking about guys. So they're in there. It's a clean book, maybe a few mentions of something sexual, but not about sex itself. A couple of WTF and that's about it.

This was a great coming of age story, road trip story and contemporary YA fiction. I read an ARC thanks to the Southern Book Bloggers ARC Tours, but I'll be buying my own copy. That special shelf is growing bigger all the time. But this is one I'll want to read again.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reunited.

06/12/2012 page 39
12.0% "Loving it! Reading ARC but wish it was my copy! Will have to get my own copy!"
06/13/2012 page 230
68.0% "I want to be friends with these girls and go on a road trip with them! If you read one contemp. this year, let it be this on! I've had to wipe my eyes from laughing so hard several times! I'm gonna have to get my own copy!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heather Finished! Go get it!!