Dree's Reviews > Another Day in the Frontal Lobe: A Brain Surgeon Exposes Life on the Inside

Another Day in the Frontal Lobe by Katrina Firlik

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, memoir-biography-autobiography, the-northeast
Read from March 03 to 08, 2012

Disappointing. This book could be so good, but mostly the author manages to present herself as being incredibly arrogant. She is smart, she is neat, she is determined, she is driven, and unfortunately her greatest passion is learning something new (209). Really. That's a quote.

Apparently neurosurgeons are the bestest smartest people out there (p200--What might be accomplished, in addition, if the same group lent some of their collective brain power to, say, improving public education or homeland security?")

Chapter 20 is offensive and unethical. Creepy! And, um--stay-at-home moms do not NEED "brain lifts". Gah!

The writing is easy to read if somewhat awkward and stilted. I am sure this woman is excellent at her job. I also suspect she truly lacks empathy--she seems to know what it is and when she should have it, but not what it feels like.

I also can't believe how she mocks small hospitals around the country who need a neurosurgeon, while she sits in wealthy Connecticut in a completely overserved area for the money and thee restaurants. What an unkind person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Day in the Frontal Lobe.

03/05/2012 page 84

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eve (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve fyi ... I have this in my to read pile ... want me to send it to you when I'm done?

Dree Sure! And I will pass it on afterwards. No rush, believe me, my pile is already huge!

message 3: by Eve (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve sounds like a plan ... can you send me your address at some point? I'm not sure that I have it (carr.eve@gmail.com) ...