Lisa Kay's Reviews > Fair Game

Fair Game by Patricia Briggs

Photobucket

★★★★★ & a Wow! It took me awhile to write this review; the fabulous Ms. Patricia Briggs had wowed me beyond words. Dare I say this is her best work to date? I guess I can’t, since I haven’t read everything she’s written – yet! But, I’m willing to place that bet.

With the third installment of her Alpha and Omega series, Ms. Briggs has proven she is a master of her craft and draws us completely into her paranormal milieu of werewolves, fae, vampires, ghosts, witches, humans, an occasional zombie, and now serial killers, with subtle skill. How does she do that? Unsurprisingly, right from the start! No splashy opening for her. Nope. It is a subtle seduction, a peep into her world in the opening prologue, where she grabbed me and didn’t let go until the very end. Actually, I’m still enthralled. Her amazing characters – paranormal or human, virtuous, average, or twisted-sick – held my attention and continued to maintain my enthusiasm for this series.

Charles is burning out and Anna, who is definitely coming into her own as Omega, appeals to her father-in-law, Bran Cornick, to listen to her. Charles needs a break from being his father’s assassin, especially since his duties have dramatically increased after the werewolves went public. Bran refuses, so she appeals to Asil, that wily old werewolf, who knows the way to make the Marrok listen to what he already recognizes. When the FBI calls, asking for help in Boston, Bran realizes he has the perfect reprieve for Charles – and himself – because he sends the pesky Anna with him.

King’s Chapel,
18th century structure at the corner of Tremont Street and School Street
in Boston, Massachusetts.

King’s Chapel boasts the oldest graveyard in Boston.
description

As you know, where sociopathic serial killers go the FBI is sure to follow, and this novel becomes, to a large extent, a procedural for a murderous villain, who metes out rape and torture to the human, fae, and werewolf communities, regardless of paranormal ability or gender, so it is not for the faint of heart. Now the question becomes not just why – but by what means? And how cool is it to bring a 300 pound werewolf to a crime scene? On a leash with a flimsy plastic collar? That’s what the unflappable Anna does with Brother Wolf, and it is a memorable scene just for its audacity. It is neat to see the two of them work this case together (when he isn’t indulging his wife by playing tourist with her).

Regardless of the gradual, pulse-pounding escalation to an adrenaline-rush climax, it is at heart a romance between fated mates, Charles and Anna, as they find a way to make him completely hers again and not brokenhearted and tortured by his personal demons.

All in all, a GoodRead!

By the way, I loved the hardcover copy. Is it red? Is it bronze? Depends on how the light catches it. Cool. They have finally gotten these last two covers right, this one perfected down to sweet Anna’s freckles.

Special Notes: The prequel, Alpha & Omega: A Companion Novella to Cry Wolf, is a must read before starting this series. It makes everything that comes afterwards fall into place.

If you are also reading the Mercedes Thompson series, then this one should be read after River Marked to avoid spoilers.

Update: March 28, 2012 - Added Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega Timeline from www.hurog.com (Thanks, Regina!!) Hyperlink to site for bigger view.

description

Alpha & Omega series:
Alpha & Omega A Companion Novella to Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, Prequel) by Patricia Briggs Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2) by Patricia Briggs Fair Game (Alpha & Omega #3) by Patricia Briggs
36 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fair Game.

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

Patricia Briggs
“Leslie had learned two valuable things about the fae that day. They were powerful and charming -- and they ate children and puppies.”
Patricia Briggs, Fair Game

Patricia Briggs
“When is the last time you were a tourist?” she asked archly.

He just looked at her. Charles, she had to agree, was not tourist material.

“Right,” Anna told him. “Buck up. You might even enjoy it.”

“You might as well have ‘hapless victim’ tattooed across your forehead,” he muttered.”
Patricia Briggs, Fair Game

Regina Woohoo -- I can't wait for this one!

Lisa Kay Love the cover, too!

Regina It is very cool! I just pre-ordered this book. February 7th! Woohoo!

Lisa Kay Neat! :)

Regina I can't wait for you to read Hunting Ground and then move on to Mercy Thomspon. I feel like I am reliving the books through you.

Lisa Kay Yes, I'm looking forward to Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2) by Patricia Briggs. I think I am going to listen to the audiobook of that one.

Regina I will be interested in what you think of the narration. I have heard some people like it -- you know I don't. It is actually that one that I tried to listen to in audio (after I had read it) and I had to put the audio down.

Lisa Kay Why didn't you like it? Where the voices not the way you thought they'd me. (Sorry, I forgot, if you told me.)

Regina Yes. It is a make narrator and I just didn't like his style. Could have been my mood.

Lisa Kay Interesting that is was a male. I keep thinking these are basically Anna's POV (though I know they change), from the prequel I guess.

Regina Me too.

Regina So have you pre-ordered yours yet? :) I have, I cannot wait for this book.

Lisa Kay No, I haven't! But I have set up my "buddy read" spot - LOL! I'm am worried about how much I'm looking forward to this book. BUT SO EXCITED!

Regina I know, but darn it is expensive. However, her books are worth it. The ebook is $12.99

Lisa Kay Eek! I guess I'm asking for all Amazon Gift Certs for Christmas.

Regina No doubt. Crazy.

Lisa Kay Ohhhhhhh... It is coming out in hardback @ $16.73 on Amazon. I wonder if Costco will have it and my girlfriend will get it for me.

Regina I am spoiled, I can't read it if it isn't an ebook anymore! But wow, costco has some great deals.

Kelly I love how the one cab driver isn't fazed by the wolf and says he has a "Great Dane crossed with dinosaur" at home.

Lisa Kay Yeah, I should track that one down and add it to the quotes, LOL!

Regina Great review!! The cover is gorgeous. I absolutely love the artwork.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Regina! And ditto about the cover. ☺

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Not my "cuppa" as I dont care for "shape-shifters" but loved your review Lisa Kay!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Sandi! ☺ Glad you're enjoying Outlander. I haven't checked over there this morning, but it looks like it is over 66 responses in less than 15 hours. Geez.

message 25: by Karla (new)

Karla Another spectacular review Lisa Kay!!

~Megan~ Suuuuuper excited for this one!!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Karla! Loved this !!

Lisa Kay ~Megan~ wrote: "Suuuuuper excited for this one!!"

Hope you like it half as much as I loved it, Megan!

Regina I just saw this timeline posted on Patricia Briggs's website: http://www.hurog.com/forum/index.php?... It is a visual timeline of all the mercy and alpha books.

Heather Great review, Lisa Kay! Really shows how much you loved it. Is it too much to ask for Bran to tell Anna she was right? lol

Lisa Kay Oh, yeah, that would be too much, Heather. LOL!

Regina He did make those special pancakes. :)

message 33: by Lisa Kay (last edited Mar 07, 2012 08:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay He did! (view spoiler) His sense of humor is twisted.

message 34: by Lisa Kay (last edited Mar 07, 2012 08:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay Regina wrote: "It is a visual timeline of all the mercy and alpha books."

Oh, thanks for the timeline, Regina!

Regina Also, beyond being funny (which it was!), (view spoiler)

Heather That was pretty funny.

Lisa Kay Hey, if someone wants to apologize to me by making me pancakes for breakfast, I’m fine with whatever shape they come in. LOL!

message 38: by Llsbear3 (new)

Llsbear3 Enjoyed reading FAIR GAME, but don't think it was as
good as first two books.

Lisa Kay Llsbear3 wrote: "Enjoyed reading FAIR GAME, but don't think it was as good as first two books."

I loved the whole series. I gobbled this one up so fast I had to read it again. And now I'm thinking of listening to it on audio.

Regina LK I am about to start the audio of FG right now I preparation for Frost Burned. :)

Lisa Kay Ah! I see you liked it, Regina! Oh, I'm going to have to get this one.

Regina It is my favorite. I read it last year and just did a re-read by listening. It is so good. Lots of wonderful Charles and Anna moments/scenes.

Lisa Kay Yes, they are my favorite, too.