Diane's Reviews > The Debt to Pleasure

The Debt to Pleasure by John Lanchester

Sep 06, 11

Read in September, 2011

Loved this book! Which is hilarious and surprising and full of the longest sentences you've read since grad school. The attitudinal narrator loves digression and starts many an assertion that is interrupted with clause after modifying clause, going on and on until when the object of the sentence finally arrives - as often as not I had to go back to see where it had begun, because by then I'd forgotten. If you find that sort of thing annoying, you'll probably hate this book. I liked it. And he's full of arcane information and definite opinions about food - presenting the story as a kind of cookbook. Which at first it is, interwoven with memories, experiences, family stories, etc . . . until somewhere along the line enough hints have been dropped that a reader begins to wonder: is he maybe a detective? Or . . . some kind of criminal? A murderer maybe? Which fits beautifully with the evasive, orthogonal prose style and the aforementioned attitude. An excellent, highly entertaining read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Debt to Pleasure.