Lauren's Reviews > An Anthology of Graphic Fiction, Cartoons, and True Stories

An Anthology of Graphic Fiction, Cartoons, and True Stories by Ivan Brunetti

Sep 06, 2011

liked it
Read from August 16 to September 06, 2011

I think this anthology works best either as an introduction to interesting artists or as sort of a museum exhibit of the state and history of modern graphic novels.

As with most anthologies, it's hard to rate the book as a whole when some works shine and some I skipped over. I appreciated and enjoyed the book, and especially liked looking at the different art styles. There are also some great stories being told here and I have a brief list of books and artists to look into further.

There is a dark melancholy feel to this collection. I don't know if that's due to the editor's choices, the general tone of modern graphic novels, or that so many were autobiographical, focusing on awkward moments or weird childhood memories. This pervading tone started to feel repetitive by the end of the book. It's like making a mix tape and filling it with the same sad songs.

Also, with so many of the pieces being excerpts from larger works, there were moments when you felt dropped into a scene and then torn away before the end. I'd recommend reading this with a piece of paper handy (or even Goodreads open) so that you can write down anything you want to read more about later.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Anthology of Graphic Fiction, Cartoons, and True Stories.