Bodea's Reviews > Vengeance Born

Vengeance Born by Kylie Griffin

Jun 21, 12

Read from June 14 to 16, 2012

So, I thought this was a YA novel. I think it's the cover, but yeh, it's not a YA novel. I wasn't really sure what to expect going into this, but I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the story for the most part, my only complaints are as follows:

1. I didn't understand the use of "she" when speaking about the Lady. It got annoying fast.

2. I don't think the CAPS were necessary when the Lady was speaking.

3. I wish the writing style had a bit more ...umph. I think that would have made the story even better, especially this type of story.

With that said, I think the author has built an interesting world here. You can see a lot of thought went into it and I caught on quickly to the customs and inner workings. It was the main reason I enjoyed the story. I like the fantasy and paranormal vibe. I think the MC's were well written too. I enjoyed their journey and that we got to learn about them along the way. They weren't the most unique characters, but they were endearing nonetheless. Annika was a good mix of tough and vulnerable. She's not take charge and kick ass, but given her upbringing, it's understandable. She's got drive though and potential. Kalan is stubborn and annoying at times, but he slowly grows on you. The romance is pretty good, but it wasn't what I enjoyed most about the story.

There's also a sub plot going on in this book. That usually annoys me, but it worked well here and I thought it was a good way to introduce the characters for the next book. All in all, I'd recommend this to readers looking for a quick read with solid world building and an interesting plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vengeance Born.

06/14/2012 page 60