Sharon's Reviews > The Visitation

The Visitation by Frank Peretti

Sep 21, 11

bookshelves: religeous, all-time-favourites
Read from September 16 to 21, 2011

First time I've read a religious novel like this one. I had put off reading a Frank Peretti for the obvious reasons but glad I did it.

I originally purchased a hardback copy for 25c in a charity shop in Florida recently on vacation. I left it behind due to luggage restrictions blah blah. Anyway I just had to buy it again but it cost me a lot more !

As I say it is definitely a religious story about a town which appears to have been visited by Jesus and how the town react and behave.
Twinned with the prophet story is the unwinding tale of the towns minister which captivated me totally throughout. There was not a lull in my interest or enjoyment of reading and I had expected to skim read at least a small portion with it being the genre it is, but this did not happen.

Frank sure knows about the complexities and torments of the human spirit and can write an amazing tale.

Yeah I've said it's religious haven't I ? But there is much humour too.

Thoroughly enjoyed this non preachy totally religious novel and will read more from this author. Although I fully appreciate it will not be to everyone's taste.

(Have read one other, with slightly less religious tones, which blew me away too 'SCARS' which has had very little popularity I guess due to the religious aspect.) A shame as I feel we're missing out on some fantastic pieces of work.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Visitation.

09/17/2011 page 100
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Is this one worth reading?

Sharon Hi John,

I've tried to think about what to say about this one. I've not read a religious book like this before and believe me it is religious but not preachy if that makes any sense. I am only part way into it but really enjoying it and definitely at a 4-5 rating. It appears to be about questioning the coming false prophet by some in a small town in Antioch. It is twinned with the story of the towns minister so two stories in one. It is so good but utterly religious and definitely not going to be to everyone's taste.

I bought a copy of it in a church charity stall for 25c in Florida and read a few pages but cos it was a hard back and heavy I left it behind. I then just had to buy it on kindle when I got back for £7!

Anyway, I've cut & pasted 'MikeThePaladin's review as I think he's summed it up better than I have and left off the slight spoiler :-

"Peretti can run hot and cold but here he's in top form as we follow the twin stories that make up this book. Good drama with just enough humor.

There are some efforts by Peretti that haven't...well, haven't been my cup of tea. I like his attitude and his point of view, but sometimes his storytelling (in my opinion of course) leaves a little to be desired. In this case however I found myself getting involved with the injured minister and the people around him. To say too much about "what I like" will entail spoilers but I will say that the "supernatural" story here meshes well with the life story of the minister. The story of his journey from a personal shattering through the horror that settles on the people around him drew me in and held me. It's well told, sprinkled with just enough humor to leaven it during the horror "type" story.

I like it and while I originally gave it 4 stars upon reflection I'm moving my rating up to 5.

(view spoiler)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I wasn't sure I'd like it but it sounds interesting. Thank you for the detailed summary! It does have some high ratings.