Kirsten McKeown's Reviews > Shoot to Thrill

Shoot to Thrill by Nina Bruhns

Oct 10, 11

bookshelves: smut-lowbrow-groan
Read from October 01 to 10, 2011

I'm rapidly working my way through researching the series genre of kidnapped-by-accident with all-the-girlfriends-partnering-off-with-buddies-of-alpha-special-op-guy after he becomes-human-again. It's like a real series genre out there, honest.

Anyway--this series does a pretty fair job with it all. (Though for the record, the best writer in this genre is Lisa Marie Rice, hands-down.)

Some fairly boring items that crop up occasionally also crop up here:
-female character who is stubborn in an annoying cute little girl way rather than a level-headed adult person way
-absolutely impossible plot lines--though despite this, Hollywood would enjoy a swing at this one--lots of explosions and motorcycles
-repeated phrasings such as "owlish stares" and "fisted" items

Surprising inserts/deviations from the norm include:
-male lead with a very good inner dialogue working through the nonetheless typical rediscovery of self worth after bouts of inhuman levels of guilt
-a fantastic reference to The English Patient, which may or may not have effected me during my formative years, and may or may not be the movie upon which I analyze every man I meet/know. Just sayin' there's a lot of great material about caves.
-fun side plots with random characters doing some delightfully random things, left "untied" for the next book.

I'm interested enough to check the next one out...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shoot to Thrill.