JP Capili's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Aug 05, 14

bookshelves: science-fiction, fiction
Read from October 17 to 28, 2011

Ernest Cline has real respect for the geek culture. I couldn't be any more the target demographic for this book. I grew up playing most of the computer games and watching scifi movies and tv shows from the 80s that were mentioned in the book.

The idea about reading a novel on a MMO game (solving quests, fighting monsters, looting items, gearing up characters, etc) brought me back to the time when I was neglecting opportunities to hang out with real-life friends because I was too busy playing WoW. I was too immersed in the game to not bother connecting to real people outside the game. If this is any indication of the future, I don't want it.

The problem with the book for me was how it became too descriptive with explaining the basic MMO rules and deviants. I am an experiencied MMO player. 40% in to the book and I'm still reading how the world works. It's like a newbie guide slash game wikipedia turned into a novel.

However, the characters are compelling. The action sequences are great, especially the short epic battle at the end. It was still an enjoyable read nonetheless.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

Quotes JP Liked

Ernest Cline
“You'd be amazed how much research you can get done when you have no life whatsoever.”

Ernest Cline
“Going outside is highly overrated.”

Ernest Cline
“Virtual sex, no matter how realistic, was really nothing but glorified, computer-assisted masturbation.”

Ernest Cline
“One person can keep a secret, but not two.”