All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Aftermath

Aftermath by Ann Aguirre

Nov 21, 11

bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia
Read in August, 2011

The Sirantha Jax series feels like it's changed so much from those first, frenetic, action-packed books, but I know that's not wholly accurate . Jax's world is as messy and political and fraught with peril as ever, but my relationship with the characters has deepened to the point where they are almost all I see anymore. Though not in an urban fantasy setting, fans will find the species and technologies in this world are written as accessibly as any magic, and the romance and action portrayed definitely fit the kick-butt heroine bill. AFTERMATH, more than any other book in the series, has the flavors of an epistolary novel. Not in the sense that current events are shown only through letters, but the characters that I've grown to love so much pour their hearts out to each other through the emptiness of space in letters and stories and memories.

Those letters are necessary, as political strife and responsibilities separate lovers Jax and March again and again. Nothing brings home the inexorable movement of life than March searching for his nephew on a far away planet while Jax is on trial for her life. That turns out to be the first of many necessary separations for these two over the course of the book. Of course, while March is physically absent, that doesn’t mean Jax is alone. Vel is there for her, endlessly loyal and supportive and undemanding. Jax and Vel, each so different from others of their own species, have joined together in a singular tribe of two. Aguirre writes the most human of relationships, without ever glossing over the truly alien differences between them. Aguirre has not created anything so common as a love triangle between Jax and March and Vel. Rather, she has written two distinct futures for our heroine, in which Jax’s dreams take on distinctly different, though beautiful, forms.

Maturity feels like too light a word for the transformation Jax has been going through over the last few books. Perhaps Vel has given me a chitinous frame of mind, but I can see Jax breaking free from a brightly colored chrysalis. AFTERMATH is the book where she begins to dry her wings, pulling free of the bonds that have kept her to earth for so long. I would definitely recommend readers start at the beginning for the entire, glorious ride. As for me, my heart is in my throat at the thought of reading the last of this series, ENDGAME. Part of me can’t wait for Aguirre to continue weaving her spell, but the rest of me will always remember Jax at the end of AFTERMATH: poised between the poles of two such beautiful destinies, limitless possibilities laid out at her feet.

Sexual Content: References to and descriptions of sex, sex scenes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aftermath.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Wonderful review--

Lianakay Brilliant review. I just love these books and adore all the characters. I feel exactly the same as you about the last book.