Shala Kerrigan's Reviews > The Dark Wife

The Dark Wife by Sarah Diemer

Aug 19, 11

Read in August, 2011

The story of Persephone and Hades was always one of my favorite myths. I've always imagined it was told wrong.

This is the telling I was waiting for. This one which is told so lovingly, in such beautiful language, that you fall in love a bit with the characters.

Persephone is not a victim in this book, she's a wonderfully spirited young goddess. Hades is the very essence of compassion and love. It's one of the most wonderful love stories I've ever read. As far as the romance goes, the drama and tension are not in the relationship, but in the forces acting on it. I really appreciate a love story in which the lovers truly respect and care for each other and show it.

All the major elements of the myth are in it, but re-imagined with different emphasis. It's fast-paced, tightly written and easy to read. After I finished it, I recommended it to my teenage daughter as well.
There are some non-explicit adult situations in the story which might make it inappropriate for younger teen readers. Nothing that I would have a problem with my daughter reading however.

I'll definitely recommend it to friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Wife.