Sophie's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: 2012, e-arc, favorites, reviewed, first-book-series, fantasy-paranormal
Read from March 23 to 26, 2012

I'm so happy I could read this amazing book before its release date, because the wait was killing me. The only downside is that now I have to wait longer for the next one! Sometimes I think it'd be better to wait for the series to end so I could read all of them after the other, but nah! I'm not one to wait, and besides, I love getting excited about books that are going to come out with other fellow readers. And, come on! Julie's take on the fey world was wonderful. I was dying to read her own take about vampires.

Onto the book! The world setting in itself was fantastic. The book takes us to a reality where circumstances have decimated the population, and now all the cities are ruled by vampires. They give shelter (if it can even be called that) to humans in exchange for blood. Each human must donate blood each month. It's practically like keeping animals in a safe fence. But then there are the unregistereds, people who live in the fringes of the city and survive scavenging for food. They are rebels who refuse to obey the vampires, and are to be executed if discovered. Allie's life as an unregistered is harsh. However, she won't ever do a thing for the monsters. But she can't flee the city because there are rabids outside; bestial, soulles creatures that live on blood, non-rational, mad with bloodthirst. They prey on the outside of cities.

Allie was a character that was very easy to like. I immediately connected with her! It was just the way she fought to go on, her courage, her hope... She hates the vampires the most, but eventually she becomes one of them.Who could blame her, when faced with the possibility of really dying? Allie then has to struggle to come to terms that she's now one of the monster she used to furiously despise. THAT was one of the best things of the book. When I read Julie Kagawa's The Iron Fey series, I fell in love with her creepy little monsters. And in The Immortal Rules, the main character herself is one of them! Being able to see through Allie's eyes was scary, enthralling and I can't find more words to describe its awesomeness. If something, Allie was a fighter. She never went down without a fight. Vampire instincts apart, she fought with a katana! How cool is that? I've seen heroines with powers, physical strength, guns, swords... but katanas? I found it incredibly fitting!

Julie Kagawa did an incredible job defining the different creatures in The Immortal Rules. Humans, vampires and morbids. Vampires were really vampires, not human with long teeth. And morbids, well, there was really no question about them. Allie was a vampire, but she still thought a little like a human. But because of what she is, they shunned her. Usually that bothers me a lot, with the other characters being unfair to her, but this time it didn't; it was only the just amount to feel real. And I liked that the author questioned the term of "demon" through all the book!

The characterization was outstanding. I felt like I knew personally all the characters! There were quite a few characters who I fell in love with. So... Zeke's turn! I loved him. I loved him for his strength, his faith, his relentlessness, his protective side. Oh, boy, how I enjoyed reading about him. And against what he always believed in, Zeke fell in love with Allie. Now, before I begin fangirling, this was a love I delightedly read. It wasn't the main focus of the story, but it was a very important part nonetheless. Needless to say, it totally won me over.

With a great ending, The Immortal Rules is a book I found creepy, but still very funny at times. When I finished it, all I wanted to do was reread it so I could remember every little detail of this beautiful story. I think it's a book everyone needs to read right away with its lovable characters, fast pace, never ending action and the destroyed but somehow sill utterly beautiful world that wraps up this incredible book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

03/23/2012
15.0% "Creepy, but the good kind of creepy!" 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mimi Valentine I wish I could press the "like" button a million times for your review! <3 Brilliant, beautiful thoughts on it, Sophie! :')