Kathy's Reviews > Champagne for Buzzards

Champagne for Buzzards by Phyllis Smallman

Aug 18, 11

Read from August 16 to 18, 2011

This is the first novel in the Sherri Travis Mystery series that I have read although it is the fourth book. It is preceded by Margarita Nights, Sex in a Sidecar and A Brewski For The Old Man. It is not necessary to have read the first three to enjoy this book. I wish I had as Sherri Travis is a wonderful, spunky character that I'm looking forward to learning more about.

Sherri Travis, our heroine, owns and manages a bar called The Sunset in Jacaranda, Florida. Although Sherri grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, her beau Clay Adams is a wealthy man who had recently purchased a ranch, called Riverwood, in nearby Independence. While Sherri is attempting to ready the ranch for a surprise birthday party for Clay, she encounters his sinister neighbours as well as discovers a dead body in the back of truck. You would think the buzzards circling her would have tipped her off immediately but she is rather distracted by the party planning! While the quaint, tourist filled Jacaranda is Sherri's usual haunt, Independence is mired in secrets and evil. A corrupt sheriff, scary gun-toting neighbours on ATVs, and the mysterious search for a "dangerous" man provide for the thrills in this book. What Sherri discovers when she starts digging is heart wrenching....

This is a great story told by a talented author...the story just flows nice and easy like a southern breeze. I enjoyed the characters who Sherri is surrounded by. All in all a great read. I'm looking forward to reading more Sherri Travis books by Phyllis Smallman.

Excellent prices for these novels in the Kindle version on the Amazon site.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Champagne for Buzzards.