Reena Jacobs's Reviews > Dark Eden

Dark Eden by Patrick Carman

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, 2011-reads, reviewed
Read from October 07 to 15, 2011

Expect my complete review October 17, 2011 on Ramblings of an Amateur Writer: http://wp.me/pPz8s-1OT

Dark Eden started off quite slow. I wasn’t sure what to make of it. After reading the blurb, I thought the book would be a YA paranormal, but the further I progressed, the more it just seemed like a book about a boy with a phobia. In fact, I wasn’t even sure what his phobia was at first, only that he was elusive… and a bit of a stalker.

I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed the book was so far off from what I’d expected. I’m not saying a book about kids with mental disorders couldn’t be interesting. After all, I quite enjoyed Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson. It was more on the lines, I had no idea what the ultimate purpose of the story was until well into the book. What were the stakes? Simply spying on kids with phobias wasn’t enough for me.

Eventually, I did discover what was at stake: be cured of the phobias using some weird, undisclosed method or continue to live with the fear. Even with the stakes laid out, they weren’t big enough to make this work stellar. Interestingly enough, the bread crumbs left as I followed the story kept me entertained and eager for the big reveal. Unfortunately, it never came.

I hit the end of the book, well what seemed like the end, and was sorely disappointed in the conclusion. The ending was followed by several short sections which explained what was really going on in Dark Eden, and this is where I hit the paranormal aspect of the book. The oh by the way, this is what happened and why wrapped up everything in a nice package, but the presentation was flat and lacking in appeal.

I hate to be overly critical, but Dark Eden by Patrick Carman was mediocre, which is a shame, because it had the potential to be so much more.

I received this work from the publisher in exchange for a review. 2.5 stars
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Eden.

10/13/2011
24.0% "I'm having doubts about this one. Almost to the quarter mark and other than following kids w/paranoia disorders, I'm not finding anything which stands out as spectacular. Still have some hope though."