Mel's Reviews > Hunted by the Others

Hunted by the Others by Jess Haines

Aug 16, 2011

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, vampires, magic

This was one of the first books I knew I would have read while on holiday – partly because my copy has been sitting on my TBR pile for a long time, but mostly because I had heard so many positive things about this series so I was looking forward to meeting Shiarra and friends. And I think I’ve made some new friends!

Shiarra doesn’t get involved with The Others – werewolves, vampires and mages who came out after the terrorist attacks on 911. She avoids them out of fear and ignorance and is happy to pretend they don’t exist for the most part – until one case leads her straight into the lion’s den as it were. There is a big mixture of Others involved and I loved the way they integrated themselves into the world – especially the contracts that are needed for them to be involved with regular humans.

This is a quick paced, fun Urban Fantasy. I loved some of the characters especially Sarah and Arnold who were hilarious! I also like the stake belt Shiarra receives – sure there’s some history behind that we still have to find. Royce is an intriguing character – and I’m curious about what will happen between them next! It’s not perfect – there is a lot of exposition explaining the world (necessary in a first book in a series) and Shiarra seems to be talked into things rather quickly. Her change of mind about her boyfriend, Chaz is rather sudden and I didn’t really understand the relationship between them – it felt a little forced to me. Overall though this is a good start to the series and I’m really looking forward to next two instalment – both of which I have waiting for me to start soon!

Recommended for fans of Carrie Vaughn and Jaye Wells. 7 out of 10.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunted by the Others.